Greetings. Planning 2-week vacation 14 to 28 December 2013. Would appreciate any insights from locals or frequent guests, especially to the following:
(1) 14-21 December will take a cruise (great price): estimated time from San Juan airport to cruise ship port by taxi at 500/530 in the evening?
(2) 21-28 December planning a week on the island. Some brief familiarity with Condado Beach area (Marriott Resort & Casino). Prefer to rent an apartment in the area and make light breakfasts and lunches and collect information on nearby notable restaurants for dinner. Advice as to which buildings to consider. Especially would appreciate (covered) balcony with ocean views and access to washer/dryer. Swimming pool might be a positive (? time of year). We are in our late 60s and don't do ocean swimming (just beach walking) and take a cautious approach to sun exposure. Would like to hear waves on beach, but certainly not yelling party-goers at 300 am. Like the idea of an apartment rental (even one too large to obtain correct amenities) to have location and view, as no guaranty of view/balcony at hotel.
(3) Like to be near resort hotel to be assured option of Xmas eve and Xmas day dinners or buffet (are local restaurants open on this holiday) and understand that local tours can be arranged through hotel concierge.
(4) Suggested resources to determine entertainment (music or English language) activities scheduled 21/27 December 2013?
(5) Am I missing out on other island resorts we should consider for a 7-night stay, or will Condado Beach provide best variety of options (old town, museums, concerts, live music venues, tours (caves, rain forest, others?), and variety of restaurants?
Any information, advice, personal experiences greatly appreciated.