We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I just rent a car?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Should I just rent a car?

Hey everyone,

I'm headed to PR in a few days with my boyfriend. We will be staying in Condado for 10 days, but we are also interested in seeing all the sights in PR as well as relaxing on the beach. We want to visit at least 1 other city and go to el yunque. We were going to use the bus/train to travel around PR and a tour company for el yunque because we were warned against renting cars... was that advice correct? Since we are going to be traveling around for at least 2 days is it better (money-saving) to rent the car? Is it a hassle to park the car while you visit places like el yunque, luquillo or the bbiobay?

Thanks for any advice!

Bespoke Lifestyle Management
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Boat Tours, Day Trips
Jerrys Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
De Tour Con Ali
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I just rent a car?

Yes. Try priceline, or use Charlie's, a local company that gives great service. The key is to stay out of the rush hour into/out of San Juan, the traffic is brutal. Otherwise, getting around is easy, be prepared for lots of aggressive driving. Parking is free in El Yunque, and relatively inexpensive in Old San Juan and in most places.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I just rent a car?

Puerto Rico is best accessed through a vehicle rental which is customary and the least expensive way to get around except for the buses in the Metro area. There are no buses or trains outside the San Juan area to take you around the island. Puerto Ricans drive everywhere and the automobile is the transportation medium of choice on the island. Tours are expensive, especially if they have to pick you up.

Edited: 25 June 2013, 22:43
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,851 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I just rent a car?

Renting a car will be much cheaper and will give you flexibility. You can do El Yunque, Luquillo beach and the biobay in one day. Next day, go west to the Camuy Caves and nearby beaches. Driving is a bit worse than NYC, but not that much terrible.

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I just rent a car?

I would echo the recommendations to get a car. Busses are not a practical way to get around save a few direct routes inside San Juan. Avoid the discount rental agencies, and check the agencies reputation by searching this forum. There are some good ones, and then some not so much. Usually the discounts are offset by extras and don't save any money.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I just rent a car?

I recommend taking a GPS that works with coordinates, because finding your way by entering an address often doesn't work. Many attractions list GPS coordinates for that reason.

Out

NewHampshire
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I just rent a car?

I would definitely recommend a car. Having visited the island in April, we drove EVERYWHERE, and found the car to be a great convenience.

We rented through Enterprise, and had a fantastic experience with them. Their shuttle was right at the terminal after we got our luggage. Check in and inspection of the car was seamless, and we were on our way! Returning the car was just as easy.

Have a great trip!

7. Re: Should I just rent a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 06:19