We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre and post cruise itinerary

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
fremont,ca
Level Contributor
7 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Pre and post cruise itinerary

I will be arriving at San juan Thursday night, the cruise is from Sunday to Sunday. Our flight leaving San juan will be early monday morning. Lookin for advice on the following:

1. Where to stay on pre cruise nights.

2. Where to visit for 2 and half days.

3. Whether a car is needed?

4. For post cruise, is that a good idea to stay at old town and the rest of the time woo der around.

5. How far are cruise terminal( carnival), airport, and old town apart? Don't want a car on post cruise stay.

Thank

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
877 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre and post cruise itinerary

How important is the beach to you? What do you like to do? There is so much to discover in Old San Juan and San Juan area that I don't think a rental car is necessary.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
7,940 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre and post cruise itinerary

All hotels in the San Juan area are close to both piers, with the Old San Juan hotels being the closest to Carnival's. Sheraton Old San Juan is located right across the street from the Carnival pier, so that will save you taxi fare. Where to stay depends on your personal preferences. This being said, I'll proceed to answer the rest of your questions.

2. Definitely Old San Juan. El Yunque and the bio bay are also popular choices.

3. Only if you travel outside the San Juan area. You will need it if you choose to visit El Yunque.

4. Yes. It is generally a good idea. However, if your flight on Monday is scheduled to leave very early in the morning, it might be more convenient to stay in Isla Verde, which is closer to the airport (only a 5 minutes ride).

5. The airport is located about 15/20 minutes from both Old San Juan and the Carnival pier. Old San Juan is located just across the street from the Carnival pier. You won't need a car on your post cruise day, regardless of where you stay rentals are not necessary in the San Juan area. You can you taxi services to get around.

Edited: 22 July 2013, 13:38
fremont,ca
Level Contributor
7 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre and post cruise itinerary

I read the 3 days in San Juan in travel guide session. Are those places good suggestions? If I follow that guide, I assume I will need a car, right? Please advice if you think there is a better route to go about. This is going to be our first visit.

fremont,ca
Level Contributor
7 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre and post cruise itinerary

Since I intend to stay at Old Town for post Cruise night, I want to stay away from it for the pre-cruise stay. Is there any suggestion for inexpensive beach front place to stay, I am open to vacation rental if that is more economical.

Thanks

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre and post cruise itinerary

In regards to your 3 day proposal, I read the recommendation and I am ok with the first two days. But this is a personal preference, I think that instead of going to balneario in Pinones area, the museum and Plaza las Americas can wait for another trip.

Why, if you are a museum buff go to Ponce's Museum of Art;

Plaza- you can do shopping at home (unless there is no Victoria's Secret, White/Black, Macy's, Ann Taylor, Michael Kor's, Guess, Coach stores nearby). There is a Coach outlet in OSJ, plus a Sun Glass hut outlet, Doorney & Burke, Guess, Polo stores in OSJ.

For your two and half day I recommend one day El Yunque/Luquillo Beach, 1.5 day OSJ & beach time just in case.

Post Cruise stay in Isla Verde, there are some good options; one night rentals will be almost the same cost as a hotel. Check out locally owned smaller hotels that offer a better value/price.

I don't recommend staying in OSJ post cruise to travel on Monday. Why? morning traffic of people going to work can be huge. Now if your flight leaves before 7 am then you are ok to stay there. Any flight leaving between 8:30 am - 11:00 am can put you in a large traffic jam. You have to be at airport at least 1.5 hr before departure, so it puts you driving during peak hours. Or just get to the airport earlier.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre and post cruise itinerary

What is the taxi cost from airport to san juan/pier?

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre and post cruise itinerary

$19+$2 gas surcharge+$1 per bag.

Next time start a separate thread, as this is unrelated to the OP question. You will also get more answers that way.

8. Re: Pre and post cruise itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 05:18