We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is renting a car good idea for us?

OKC
Level Contributor
414 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
is renting a car good idea for us?

2 adults and 1 7 years old. We are going to stay at the ritz. planning on going out every day to OLS, Fort, dinners, day trip to culebra. I am thinking to rent a car. How bad is to find a parking spot in OSJ and the driving? thanks

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is renting a car good idea for us?

Parking on the street in OSJ is almost impossible, but there are a number of parking garages with reasonable rates. I would highly suggest renting a vehicle for your day trips.

OKC
Level Contributor
414 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is renting a car good idea for us?

thanks !! is there a parking garage that you may suggest?

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is renting a car good idea for us?

I usually park at the Dona Fela parking garage near the entrance of OSJ. It's on Recinto Sur Street across the street from Raices Restaurant. Stay all the way to your left after entering OSJ.

OKC
Level Contributor
414 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is renting a car good idea for us?

do u need to take a bus to pick your car at the airport for all the rental companies?

Florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is renting a car good idea for us?

There are a few companies (like Avis) that have space right on the airport. But most are off of the airport property, but nearby. They pretty much all have complimentary shuttle service that pick you up, and take you to their office. They provide shuttle service back to the airport for departure, too. Some offer up to a certain time at night, and others provide the service around the clock.

Some hotels have a car rental company with a desk on the premises, where you could rent from them. You could arrive, take a taxi to the hotel, and then take care of your rental details there. Just another option.

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is renting a car good idea for us?

I would highly recommend renting from an on airport vendor and / or Charlies. They have moderate to good recommendations. Most of the off- airport discount companies which are on an access road off of Rt 26 have terrible reputations and are extremely difficult to get to if you are not a native to return the car.

Elkhart, Indiana
Level Contributor
45 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is renting a car good idea for us?

We had a good experience with Enterprise, which is off-airport. Their shuttle was convenient, and the car we rented gave us no troubles at all. We did get a little lost finding them when it came time to return the car, but that was just because I missed the exit. I did a lot of that while driving in Puerto Rico. Just allow enough time, and you should be fine.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is renting a car good idea for us?

There are two affordable parking garages in OSJ.

The easiest access for both is entering San Juan by the side that has the port area.One is called "la Puntilla", and the other is Dona Fela.

La Puntilla, is the farther one, as you pass the docks/ports you will reach an open area filled with some touristic truck snack vendors, pass them,keep driving straight as if going to the ocean, then you will reach it. It is right across Paseo de la Princesa.

I always remind visitors to OSJ, that Dona Fela parking garage is the second one on the street. You will see one on your left, as you pass the taxi stand, but this one is expensive; Dona Fela is the second one on the left. It has a larger two car entrance and one car exit. So make sure to use this one,

OKC
Level Contributor
414 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is renting a car good idea for us?

thanks!!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
833 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: is renting a car good idea for us?

I took my own GPS and that was a tremendous help. You can get back to the rental car return by marking the coordinates and saving while you are there. My GPS units didn't take addresses outside of the city area. I found the coordinates to everywhere I wanted to go online. Then I saved them before my trip, and loaded a few drive itineraries before I arrived in PR.

Out