We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Puerto Rico

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Puerto Rico

Hi,

I am on a short trip to Puerto Rico. I require some advice on a few places I will be visiting.

Day 1:

- Cave :Cueva Ventana or Rio Camuy Caves Park

- Vieques - Mosquito bay . Want to visit without staying the night there

Day 2:

- Culebra tour - 6 hours ( I am planning to fly to and fro same day from San Juan. )

Day 3 :

- Roam around San Juan

- Flyboarding

I have some queries. Somebody please help me

1. Which cave is choose? Cueva Ventana or Rio Camuy Caves Park

2. Should I book a day trip or fly to Culebra directly and get around on my own? Do I need to carry snorkeling gears? Can I rent a scooter there?

3. I suppose the flights from San Jun to Culebra are tiny. There may be light rain on the day I fly. How often do such flights get canceled? Any idea?

3. Are there instructors in Culebra who could help me in snorkeling? I cannot swim :(

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Ananya

Edited: 26 August 2013, 08:53
Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Tours By Locals
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Jerrys Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Bespoke Lifestyle Management
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Boat Tours, Day Trips
Architektonica Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Puerto Rico

For both the Culebra snorkeling trip and the Vieques Mosquito Bay biobay tour book with the following company as they will take you to both places:

eastwindcats.com/excursions/exc-vieques.htm

You will have to rent a car to get you to Fajardo.

Rio Camuy Caverns are an extensive underground cave system, the third largest cave system formed by water in the world. There is a tram that takes you down into the main cave and there is a guided tour. It will take a few hours. Cueva Ventana is situated on a mountain overlooking a valley. It is much smaller and more informal and the cost is minimal (parking). Once you hike to the cave you take your own tour around.

Mentioned in this post
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Puerto Rico

I would choose the Rio Camuy Cave parks, and then visit the Arecibo radio Observatory. They are both on the same route. Visit the cave first because it has a daily visitors capacity, and once it is reached no one else is allowed inside.

On your dirve back you can stop at the Premium Outlet mall in Barceloneta- there is a Metropol restaurant there for really nice Cuban/Puertorrican food.

Mentioned in this post
Arecibo
Arecibo
Puerto Rico
Barceloneta
Barceloneta
Puerto Rico
Metropol
Metropol
2,226 Reviews
Puerto Rico
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Puerto Rico

Thank you all for your suggestion.

I will be visiting Rio Camuy Cave parks. How can we reach there from San Juan? Public transports or taxi?

And we have decided to go to Culebra on our own . From San Juan to Culebra by Ferry...air tickets sold out :( ....and return by flight same day.

Any suggestions on Ferry? I heard its pretty crowded on weekends. First ferry leaves at 9am. So planning to reach Fajardo atleast an hour early.

How about Culebra? How can we explore that island? Can we get scooters on rent?

@Beach_Orquid : We'll definitely try Metropol.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Metropol
Metropol
2,226 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Puerto Rico

For the Camuy Caves you should rent a car, taxi will be way too expensive

for the Ferry you should be there more than 1 hour before and again car rental will be cheaper than taxi

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,200 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Puerto Rico

Are you planning to do the Caves and Vieques on the same day, and not overnight in Vieques? It simply cannot be done.

There is no reluable public transportation anywhere outside SJ. You need to rent a car to drive to the caves and to Fajardo for the ferry.

On a weekend, you have to line up very early to get to Culebra, at least 3hrs. And even then you cannot be guaranteed a spot.

Mentioned in this post
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Puerto Rico

Hi,

So we visited Puerto Rico last week.

First day, we took a self guided tour of Old San Juan. Its pretty. Then we took the trip to Mosquito Bay, Vieques.

Nest day, we took the ferry to Culebra (we reached ferry station at 6, really lucky to get the 9 o' clock ride). Culebra was awesome.

And on the last day, we drove to Rio Camuy caves. We also planned to go to El Morro fort in the afternooon but couldn't because of flat tyre half way.

Overall, it was a nice mini vacation. We plan go there again. Thank you all for your suggestions

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Old San Juan
Old San Juan
14,102 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Fajardo, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
179 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Puerto Rico

Hands down go to the Rio Camuy caves. But try and get there early between 9 and 930. This could save an hour or two of waiting as sometimes its very crowded. From there it would give you time to go to see the Arecibo telescope which is about 30 minutes from there. If you are staying in SJ, Condad or Isle Verde area leave around 730 am. you won't regret it. Rather then go to Mosquito bay got to the Bio Bay in Las Croabas.

Take your own walking Tour around OSJ. I would reccomend that you go to San Cristobal Fort instead of El Moro. Make sure you go through the Old City Gates its a beautiful walk and you come out onto one of the most beautiful streets in the world.

Good Luck and hurry back there's a lot more to see.

Ellis Puerto Rico

Mentioned in this post
Arecibo
Arecibo
Puerto Rico
8. Re: 3 days in Puerto Rico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2014, 06:25