We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel and Itinerary help please.

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel and Itinerary help please.

Going to PR at the end of Jan for 10 nights. I have already booked 2 nights at the end in Vieques, and am wondering if people recommend staying the other 7 nights in San Juan and doing day trips around the island, or splitting it up between San Juan and Rincon, Ponce, or close to El Yunque?

Also if you could help with hotel recommendations. Gay couple in early 50's. Want to be able to go to a couple gay bars at night, and beach during the day. Trying to stay in the low $100 night range. Hotels I am looking at are At Wind Chimes, Tres Palmas, Radisson Ambassador, and Best Western Plus Condado. I plan on just walking and using taxi and buses to Old San Juan and night life, then renting a car for the days we go out for day trips. I do want a pool and close walking to beach. Which would you pick, or any other suggestions?

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,555 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel and Itinerary help please.

Of the mentioned hotels, I've only stayed at Ambassador (several times). Not a bad hotel, but wouldn't be my first choice either only because I prefer to be right on the beach. Ambassador has a nice rooftop pool.

I don't know much about gay bars, but I've heard that the Ocean Park area is very gay friendly. Perhaps you might want to check out the hotels there.

As far as how long to stay in San Juan, I think 3 nights is enough. I would definitely split the stay. I would consider spending a couple of nights on the west side: Rincon or Cabo Rojo. Cabo Rojo has the best beaches (and seafood) on the main island, and Rincon is known for surfing beaches. This is what I would do:

Days 1&2: Spend 2 nights in San Juan. Visit Old San Juan, enjoy the nightlife, go to the beach, do some shopping.

Day 3: Get a rental car, then visit Guavate; go to Ponce, spend the rest of the day there, then continue on to the west side.

Days 4 & 5: Enjoy the beaches. Spend 3 nights on the west side.

Day 6: On to Fajardo. Spend a night there. Visit el Yunque and the bio bay at night.

Day 7: On to Vieques for 2 nights.

Day 9: Back to San Juan.

Day 10: Extra day to do whatever.

Enjoy your vacation!

Edited: 27 August 2013, 12:50
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,761 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel and Itinerary help please.

Atlantic hotel in Condado and the adjacent beach is gay friendly. Most gay bars are not in the tourist area, you can take a cab to get there, but you will have problems getting a taxi back. Much easier if youca find someone to take you around.

Paris gave you a great itinerary. All the hotels you mentioned are good, perhaps the BW has the best location overall and it recently opened.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel and Itinerary help please.

The Poblado Boqueron in Cabo Rojo is also gay friendly area. During weekends there are many bars that cater to a gay friendly ambiance, for you and your partner to enjoy and relax.

There are no large hotels nearby, but you can find an appartment rental in this area. You could drive to Cabo Rojo's light house and visit Playa Sucia (just beside the light house). Or go to Mayaguez and stay at the Mayaguez Resort and drive to Boqueron (just 30 min drive).

From Mayaguez you can also drive to Rincon, enjoy the beautiful beaches (Corcega, tres palmas, steps, etc...). It is just 30 min drive from Mayaguez.

Cabo Rojo is about an hour away from Ponce, so this could fit into the itenerary of three days stay on the west side of the island.

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel and Itinerary help please.

Thanks very much for the help. This opens up a whole new world of planning for me :-) I love to plan. I am arriving @ midnight on a Saturday, so I am thinking Sat, Sun, and Mon nights in San Juan. Drive to Mayaguez or Cabo Rojo's and spend Tues, Weds, and Thurs nights, Fly to Vieques Fri and Sat nights, Sun night in Fajardo, then back to San Juan on Monday for an early flight Tues morning.

Does this sound reasonable? I am already planning on Mosquito Bay on Vieques (timed my arrival for moon phase), so I was not going to do the one in Fajardo. Or should I?

With this itinerary, it opens my funds up a bit in San Juan, so I am thinking maybe La Concha for hotel. I am torn between staying in Condado or Ocean Park, or in between.

Lastly, can someone recommend a good guide book that I can read up on to get a feel for what I want to do and see while there? Thanks again for your help.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel and Itinerary help please.

If you want something apart from the bigger name hotels you may want to also try the numero uno guest house (http://www.numero1guesthouse.com/) or tres palmas inn (http://www.trespalmasinn.com/) or even Hosteria del Mar (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…).

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,555 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel and Itinerary help please.

Yes, your itinerary sounds very reasonable.

If you plan to see the mosquito bay, there's no need to see the bio bay in Fajardo. The one in Vieques is better based on what I've read.

La Concha is a very hip hotel. Highly recommended. It's only a couple of minutes from Ocean Park.

I agree that you should visit El Poblado. Great low key beach area, fantastic drinks.

Stay in Cabo Rojo (or Rincon). There's nothing to do in Mayaguez.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 18:46
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel and Itinerary help please.

Have stayed in Tres Palm as on 2 occasions and loved it. Not at all flash, no bar or restaurant, but a lovely little hideaway. Recommended :-)

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel and Itinerary help please.

So I am still having a little trouble with my planning and could use some more advice. Where to stay on the West side of the island? I have looked at Cabo Rojo, Boqueron, and Rincon and cannot decide which to try and stay at. I would like to be close to the water, but walking distance to restaurants. By restaurants, pub food is perfectly fine, and actually preferable to me than upscale dining.

I have looked at Aquarius Vacation Club, but it looks out of the way. I looked at Parador Boqueron also. In Rincon, I am looking at Rincon of the Seas. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated!

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel and Itinerary help please.

Lol, I am still overthinking my hotel choice in San Juan. I am looking at both Verdanza and Radisson. For the same price, but an Executive Club room at Verdanza, which would you choose?

I would like to be walking distance to at least a couple of local type bars, and a some restaurants. Not really into night clubbing, so I dont think the club at El San Juan is for me.

I decided on Rincon for my 3 days on the other side of the island.

10. Re: Hotel and Itinerary help please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2014, 05:16