We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's wrong with this driving route?

Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
237 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
What's wrong with this driving route?

We're headed to Bahia Beach next Friday. Google maps wants me to take this route:

http://goo.gl/maps/W2P2t

I saw this other route and even though a few minutes longer, would rather take it to drive along the coast:

http://goo.gl/maps/1cFrM

Is this not a good road since Google Maps doesn't even offer it as a suggestion on it's own?

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,222 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's wrong with this driving route?

I take 187 whenever I get the chance. It is a nice drive. Just longer. There are some nice beaches for photo ops along the way. When you are driving past the coast, there will be a a sandy berm/hill along the coast so at times you will not see the ocean. But you will see lots of car paths. The ocean is just on the other side. Pull off and park on one of them and walk on up to the ocean. Have a cold one and chill before heading to the hotel. When you exit the airport, take the first right. Then left at the Ritz. That will put you on Isla Verde, Shops restaurants, grocery store. Then head back to 187 and head east.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's wrong with this driving route?

I am not going to say is not a good road, it is a very scenic area (you will drive pass our Pinones area filled with kiosks selling our native fried turnovers). The details about it is that the few minutes longer can turn into half an hour longer or more if it you drive on Sunday between noon and 6pm.

The second route goes trough towns and lots of stop lights, and after you pass the Pinones area there isn't much else to see. Road conditions are not that great and I just wouldn't recomend it as a first time drive. As I read in your post you will be arriving on Friday, past 4pm expect high traffic in any route, as everyone is returning from work or traveling for the holiday weekend.

There are better scenic drives in Puerto Rico. Drive the first route it is simpler and easier to drive. If you go to El Yunque you will have the opportunity to drive a scenic route. Go to Luquillos for a coastal drive. :)

Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
237 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's wrong with this driving route?

Thanks guys. We land at 12:40 so I'm guessing we'll be on the road by 1:45 or so. I think I'll follow the major roads to get there then we'll explore the coast later after we get our bearings straight.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's wrong with this driving route?

The first link is best when you just want to get there, as you will take the toll expressway Rt. 66 and it whisks you to your hotel in Rio Grande quickly. The other "scenic" route can be a headache on weekends as crowds of people hit that local route slowing things down + there are traffic lights and low speed zones. After being on a plane for hours I just want to get to my hotel.

Edited: 29 August 2013, 16:46
Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's wrong with this driving route?

Remember if u take the Route 66 toll road you need the autoexpress tag in the rental car

NOTE: The section between Canovanas and Rio Grande ONLY ACCEPTS the AuroExpreso tag. - the toll for this section is automatic

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's wrong with this driving route?

Good point--Coqui.

Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
237 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's wrong with this driving route?

Great advice on the tolls. I'll double check with the rental car company to make sure we have one, or we go a slightly different route!

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's wrong with this driving route?

@JchipGCS if you plan on driving back to and from San Juan and beyond I would highly recommend you get the tag.

Route 66 REALLY makes a difference time wise :o)

Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
237 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's wrong with this driving route?

Yes, we're going to make the drive a few times. Once out to Rio Camuy Caves & Arecibo Observatory, another time to OSJ to explore the forts and old town and then again heading back to the airport.

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's wrong with this driving route?

The major car rental companies almost always have the tags in the cars. Some of the smaller ones make it an option.

Get answers to your questions about San Juan
Recent Conversations