We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this cutting it too close? Trying make 5 pm food tour!

houston
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is this cutting it too close? Trying make 5 pm food tour!

Hello to everyone reading! I need *a lot* of itinerary help so I have a lot of questions! Help plan my trip please! :D Things I want to do are:

-Dinner food tour with Flavors of San Juan

-Bio Bay tour?

-Day trip to Culebra?

-Full day tour with Rocaliza

We're flying into San Juan on United Airlines nonstop from Houston and land in San Juan at 3:44pm on a Friday. We're not checking our luggage, aren't planning on renting a car right now, and we're staying at the Condado Plaza Hilton.

I was thinking of maybe trying to make the Signature Dinner Tour by Flavors of San Juan the same day? All it says on their website is that it meets at one of the main plazas of Old San Juan at 5pm. We get more info once we book.

I fly on United a lot and it seems like they have a buffer on their flight times because I almost always arrive 10-20 minutes earlier than their stated arrival time. I was also thinking that if check-in at the hotel takes too long, we could just change in the bathroom real quick and leave our bags with the bellhop.

The Condado Plaza Hilton website says it's 10 minutes from the airport and I don't know how long it takes to get to Old San Juan from there, but it seems pretty close from what I've read.

If we cab it to the hotel from the airport, and to Old San Juan from the hotel, would we be able to make the 5pm start time for the dinner food tour?

We're only in Puerto Rico for 4 days...we land 3:44pm Friday and flight leaves 1:45pm on Monday, so we're trying to do as much as possible. If you think we shouldn't do the food tour the day we arrive, what should we do after we land instead? Should we just do Old San Juan ourselves and skip the food tour altogether?

We also have a full day tour with Rocaliza planned on one of the full days we have there (which is only 2 days-Sat or Sun) and I believe that should be from 9am-3 or 4pm.

On our other full day we have, I want to go to a beautiful beach! I was thinking about going to Culebra because I read we wouldn't have to rent a car once we got there, lol! Would it be too much of a hassle and take too much time to actually get to Culebra ourselves though? Should we rent a car to get to the dock? I read somewhere about getting in line super early for ferry tickets? Are there tours from San Juan that can take us to Culebra?

Or, should we just stay on the mainland instead since we are only here 4 days? Is there a good beach here where we can snorkel? Or is Culebra worth it? I'm not crazy about driving and I'm pretty sure my friend isn't either but I will rent a car if we need to so that we can get where we need to go in Puerto Rico.

Also, I was looking at reviews for bio bay as we will be going at a time where it is optimal because there is no moon. Seems like the one in Vieques is the one to go because it's brighter but it's farther away. Is the one that is closer worth going to? Seems like the people who went to Vieques Bio Bay from San Juan with East Wind hated it because only 20-30 minutes was spent on the water and they didn't get back until 1am?

On our last day in Puerto Rico, what should we do before we leave on our 1:45pm flight? Should we do Old San Juan all morning this day, since we need to be close by?

Sorry so many questions! If you are able to answer any of them, thank you!!!

Mentioned in this post
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
The Condado Plaza Hilton
The Condado Plaza Hilton
4,942 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Old San Juan
Old San Juan
14,083 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Tours By Locals
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Jerrys Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Bespoke Lifestyle Management
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Boat Tours, Day Trips
Architektonica Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,174 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this cutting it too close? Trying make 5 pm food tour!

You did not mention when you are visiting. The advice for some things will differ based on that.

In any case, I don't think you will have enough time to make the tour at 5pm. You will be rushing too much. From the airport to the Conrad (condado plaza is the old name) is 15min, then to OSJ is 7min. But on a friday there could be some traffic heading out of the airport area.

If you want to save some money and want to be able to do all this in 3 days, then rent a car. On arrival, drive to Fajardo for the biobay. Spend the night in Ceiba, Luquillo, Rio Grande or Fajardo. On Sat, take ferry or fly from Ceiba to Culebra. While in Culebra you can get buses to different areas. Then ferry/fly back, and drive to SJ,stay in OSJ. On sunday, drive to the meeting point for Rocaliza, or return the car saturday and pay for the pickup. When you come back, start your tour of OSJ. Visit the forts on Monday. Be at the airport by 12noon.

This will be rushed, and you will not see everything in OSJ, or even have time to stop by the rainforest, but you will get to do all in your list.

Mentioned in this post
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Ceiba
Ceiba
Puerto Rico
Luquillo
Luquillo
Puerto Rico
Rio Grande
Rio Grande
Puerto Rico
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this cutting it too close? Trying make 5 pm food tour!

Given your objectives, a car is a must. You can pick it up at the airport. Avoid the off airport agencies, except Charlies or Enterprise. Their service tends to be bad. The 5 pm tour is just too close. 4:30 is rush hour in San Juan and I would double any estimated travel times. Culebra is beautiful but a day trip is stressful unless you are a very early riser. If you want to do it, stay in Rio Grande, Fajardo, or Luquillo the night before.

You are trying to cram in too many things in a very short period. I would cut back on one.

Mentioned in this post
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Rio Grande
Rio Grande
Puerto Rico
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Luquillo
Luquillo
Puerto Rico
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this cutting it too close? Trying make 5 pm food tour!

UAL 1260 Arrives between 3:21 and 3:43.

IMHO its to tight.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this cutting it too close? Trying make 5 pm food tour!

You will need to rent a car for all your items. I agree with nytoparis proposed schedule.

Once you are settled in San Juan you can walk at evening in OSJ and have a really nice dinner there. You can skip the flavors tour.

I would stay with the car until departure, because you will need to pay a taxi to get back to hotel ($18 avg) , then taxi to OSJ ($10 avg) for morning walk, and taxi to airport ($18), it is worth it to keep the car until departure.

5. Re: Is this cutting it too close? Trying make 5 pm food tour!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 06:23