We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Hotel/Beach house

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions for Hotel/Beach house

Hi,

We (3 families with kids) are planning for a trip to San Juan in December this year. I would like to know if it is better to stay in a hotel (3 rooms) or look for a vacation rental. We would prefer to stay right on the beach something like get out of the room and walk into the sand :-)

We are hoping to stay one full week.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Hotel/Beach house

What are your things you want to do while there?

This will allow us to make better recommendations.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
9,019 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for Hotel/Beach house

"I would like to know if it is better to stay in a hotel (3 rooms) or look for a vacation rental."

That's a little too vague. Tell us what you require or what your wish list includes so we can help you make a decision. It would help to know what kind of accomodations you prefer. And what ammenities you're looking for. How old are the children? Are you renting a car? Do you want to stay in the city or away from it?

Edited: 12 September 2013, 20:01
New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for Hotel/Beach house

Apologize for not being very clear on my question.

Kids age range from 10-2 years. To be honest we have never been to Puerto Rico. This will be the first time (IF we decide)

We are hoping for more beach fun, may be visiting any near by places, etc.

We would like to stay closer to the restaurants, shopping and preferably few steps from the beach.

I don't know if we will rent a car, but the chances are good that we might.

Now, keeping the above points, do you suggest staying in a hotel (3 families) or renting for a week will be economical. Amenities wise, kitchen and refrigerator would be nice. Dryer/washer or near by laundry would be awesome.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for Hotel/Beach house

Isla Verde area is a good location that meets most of your requirements. The Isla Verde area has a nicer beach area, and water sports for all your family to enjoy (banana boat ride, jet ski rental, kayaking, playing in the sand etc.)

I think that finding a rental to accomodate everyone will be harder than a hotel. Your family may need two rentals. Rentals is a budget friendly option because you can save on at least breakfast items, and in accomodations. But it means, that someone has to cook, do the dishes, and keep things tight and nice.

So, if budget permits choose a hotel. Other wise try to look for rentals in the same building.

With a full week I would spilt the trip in two portions- one in Fajardo at El Conquistador hotel (great beach, water park, and pool time for everyone), 3d/2night should be ok; then move to Isla Verde for the rest of the stay.

Mentioned in this post
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for Hotel/Beach house

Thank you. I will make note.

Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for Hotel/Beach house

Isla verde has some great hotels on the beach and lots of restaurants for hungry kids...

7. Re: Suggestions for Hotel/Beach house

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 05:18