We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family with kids under 6

Milwaukee...
3 posts
Save Topic
Family with kids under 6

We would like opinions about staying in San Juan for 5 nights in February with a family party of 8 adults and six kids ages 5 and under. We are not interested in an all-inclusive for this trip. We'd like a large place where we can cook, swim (pool and beach), walk to a playground. We don't need cars if we can walk or bus to groceries, coffee and a few low key activities (like El Morro). I'd be interested in your opinions of neighborhoods, beaches and preschool-appropriate activities.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,976 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family with kids under 6

There are no all-inclusives in PR so you're good there.

A condo or house rental would be your best bet, but most likely, you will need more than one unit, as I'm not sure one alone will accomodate such a large party. You can find them at vrbo.com.

Any of these areas will work for you: Condado, Isla Verde, or Old San Juan. Ocean Park (just between Condado and Isla Verde) would also work, but I would recommend considering the others first.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 16:05
Mentioned in this post
Condado Beach
Condado Beach
1,179 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Isla Verde
Isla Verde
Puerto Rico
Old San Juan
Old San Juan
14,159 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Milwaukee...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family with kids under 6

Thanks for your ideas. I'm just curious - why would Ocean Park be your last choice?

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family with kids under 6

Ocean park's beach area is not that kid friendly, plus you will need a car to go to grocery, pharmacies and convenience stores. It is not a bad area but it has limited walkable amenities.

If you choose to stay in OSJ, you will need a taxi to go to the beach; if you stay in El Condado or Isla Verde you will need a taxi to go to OSJ . So location will depend on what you want to do more.

I recommend El Condado area because it has many small parks, ( La Ventana, Stella Marie park, Parque del Indio) walkable distance, for your kids to enjoy. Plus walkable distance to convenience stores.

Mentioned in this post
Condado Beach
Condado Beach
1,179 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Isla Verde
Isla Verde
Puerto Rico
Milwaukee...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family with kids under 6

That's very helpful - thanks.

5. Re: Family with kids under 6

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2014, 05:18