We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mom, Dad & 20 year old daughter in Puerto Rico for Christmas

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Harrison Township...
5 posts
Save Topic
Mom, Dad & 20 year old daughter in Puerto Rico for Christmas

Arriving 12/22/13 late afternoon, departing 12/27/13 early afternoon. Currently reserved at Doubletree for entire stay. Should we "split" the trip into more than one hotel? Want to see OSJ, Rainforest, etc., but R&R nice too! Thanks in advance for your input!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mom, Dad & 20 year old daughter in Puerto Rico for Christmas

You do not have to split up the accommodation locations as you can rent a car and drive to the rain forest ( 1 hour away) and visit OSJ (15 minutes away) from your hotel. It is a congested urban environment there and the property is not beachfront. If that is unappealing, you can split it up and stay elsewhere, just do OSJ while at the Doubletree.

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mom, Dad & 20 year old daughter in Puerto Rico for Christmas

For such a short stay, I would stick with one location. You might consider either something closer to the beach in San Juan (Condado / Isle Verde) or closer to the rain forest (Rio Grande . Fajardo) as your base. Either way, you can easily get to the places you want to visit if you rent a car.

Harrison Township...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mom, Dad & 20 year old daughter in Puerto Rico for Christmas

Thanks! I was starting to worry, but considering that Christmas is Wednesday, it seemed dumb to try and switch locations in the middle of the trip. Do you think we should just stay at the hotel that day, or venture out someplace?

Harrison Township...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mom, Dad & 20 year old daughter in Puerto Rico for Christmas

Thanks! I've looked at other options, but some of the reviews of other hotels have scared me off. I'm thinking that so long as I can get to a beach fairly easily (they say it's a 3 block walk from Doubletree, & they have arrangements with their beachfront properties) I might be better off where I'm at. At least it has a pool, and room has fridge & micro, which helps with leftovers & quick snacks. Your thoughts?

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mom, Dad & 20 year old daughter in Puerto Rico for Christmas

I stayed at the Doubletree, we got a room on the 5th floor with a view across Condado and the ocean. It takes 5 minutes to walk to the beach through a beautiful neighborhood, though I like to go a bit east to the Ocean Park stretch. You have the advantage of a grocery across the street and easy access to all the restos and shopping along Ashford Ave. The highway is right there so getting to El Yunque is easy. For OSJ, you can take the bus or drive and park in one of the fairly inexpensive lots.

Edited: 25 October 2013, 18:45
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mom, Dad & 20 year old daughter in Puerto Rico for Christmas

The Doubletree gets really good reviews. Stick with it.

Edited: 25 October 2013, 18:49
Harrison Township...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mom, Dad & 20 year old daughter in Puerto Rico for Christmas

Thanks! Good tip about the 5th floor view, since it sounds like we'll be in the tower, not garden view. My husband will be happy that's it's only 5 minute walk to the beach, he likes to take beach walks. I'm happy about the grocery store - sounds like a good option for simple easy breakfast and snack food. We don't ALWAYS need a huge meal every time we eat!

Harrison Township...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mom, Dad & 20 year old daughter in Puerto Rico for Christmas

Thanks! All the responses I'm getting are making me feel like I made some good choices! We still have more planning to do. Anyone have a suggestion for Christmas Eve & Christmas Day?

9. Re: Mom, Dad & 20 year old daughter in Puerto Rico for Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2014, 05:22