We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I find tropical fruits?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where can I find tropical fruits?

I will be travelling to San Juan in mid March and I was wondering where I could find tropical fruits in the San Juan area. (Particularly soursop, rambutan, sugar apple/sweetsop)

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I find tropical fruits?

Well, I hope you don't have your heart set on those fruit because they are not in season in March. You may get lucky and find a soursop (we call them guanabana here).

There are not many fruit farms where you can visit, but they are outside SJ anyway.

Your best best will be to head to the Rio Piedras or Santurce markets (mercados).

In March you may find bananas, coconut, papaya, citrus, star fruit and probably pineapples. For the unusual things, look for caimito, maybe sapodilla (locally nispero). I get canistel that time of year, but that is not usual here and never seen in markets.

Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I find tropical fruits?

Hello, hope you are well. There is a fruit market in old san juan.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I find tropical fruits?

934- There is a small organic market in OSJ on Saturday mornings. But there won't be much of a fruit selection. There is also a market on the first Sunday of the month in Condado, but again not a lot of fruit.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I find tropical fruits?

Thank you so much for your input-- all very good to know. We were definitely looking for the fruits that are hard to grow in the states so that is too bad that we won't be in season for those.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
294 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can I find tropical fruits?

On Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Foods episode in PR, he went to a public market in the San Juan area...I want to say it might have been in Rio Piedras? Can anyone give more info in terms of specific location, hours, etc.? It seemed like it would be an excellent source for tropical fruits.

Thanks!

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can I find tropical fruits?

The mercado is on Route 47 (Calle Jose de Diego) in Rio Piedras. Open Monday through Saturday 9am to 6pm, and Sunday mornings. You can see it's location (and more info) on the map in this article on our web site ... puertoricodaytrips.com/rio-piedras-market/

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can I find tropical fruits?

I know this is an old post but what about sugar apples? Do you think we could find those in March?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where can I find tropical fruits?

Possibly. We have soursops, corazons, and rollinia all fruiting now, (which are in the same family as sugar apples), but no sugar apples. But maybe someone else does. Check the mercados and roadside fruit stands.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where can I find tropical fruits?

Perfect, we always hope we can find soursop when we travel since you can't find them where we live.

10. Re: Where can I find tropical fruits?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about San Juan
Recent Conversations