We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location Help. (Over planning)

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Location Help. (Over planning)

So for some reason - I think I'm making this more complicated than it should be (that's my instinct). Here's what I need help with: am traveling to San Juan with my husband and 6-year old, end of January (25-31).

I've found an oceanfront condo I really like: Marlin Towers (3817 Isla Verde Avenue, Carolina). How is this location - regards to beach, resorts, restaurants?

Ideally I'd like to split 3-3 nights: Condo and resort. The resorts we've looked at Marriott Courtyard or Marriott Stellaris. Any thoughts on which is better considering the condo location? Any other ideas? At this point i'm open to suggestions...I've been overwhelmed with the options.

We'd like to be able to soak in the culture - walk around, access to restaurants...hang out at the beach.

Any help will be appreciated!

Zabby

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,135 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location Help. (Over planning)

Unfortunately, you won't experience much culture in San Juan. It's a big city, and like any other big city, there's a lot going on that takes away from the culture. To experience our culture, you would have to venture outside San Juan.

In regards to the condo of your choice, I've personally never heard of it, so I'm not sure where exactly it is located. However, Isla Verde does have the nicest beach in San Juan. You're good in that aspect. It also has plenty of restaurants.

As far as the hotels, Marriott Courtyard is right on the Isla Verde beach. Marriott Stellaris is nicer, but it's located in Condado, which doesn't have the best beach. The beach there is often not safe, specially for children. If a swimmable beach is not a much, then it's an excellent choice. Otherwise, I would strongly recommend Intercontinental, El San Juan (both on the Isla Verde beach), or Conrad in Condado. All have nice, safe beaches, and have restaurants and shops within walking distance.

I hope this helps!

Edited: 29 November 2013, 18:33
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Location Help. (Over planning)

Thanks so much! We are considering 2 nights at La Terraza and 3 nights in Isla Verde. The planning continues.....

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location Help. (Over planning)

Hi Zabby,

I too spend a lot of time looking for something in January for our family w/2 kids. And I settled on Isla Verde neighborhood. we're staying in a condo we found via VRBO. Seems like nice, safe area w/restaurants nearby a nice beach and a bus to Old San Juan. While you may want to move to a resort, I have found it more relaxing to settle in in one place for a full week for our vacations! Also, we have found a pool is key for cooler days or for a quick swim for the kids when we do a day trip, etc. good luck!

4. Re: Location Help. (Over planning)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2013, 13:20
5. Re: Location Help. (Over planning)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 06:18