We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condado Beach to SJU on 28 December for a 7:54am Flight

Sugar Land Texas USA
Level Contributor
129 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Condado Beach to SJU on 28 December for a 7:54am Flight

Seems rather unbelievable that the Houston/San Juan flight is quite in normal time, but the return trip appears to leave before airport employees arrive! (Maybe the first flight?)

Should I assume at early Saturday morning traffic will not be an issue?

With agricultural inspection etc. when should we arrive at the airport and how long is the ride from Condado del Mar (1479 Ashford Avenue) to SJU?

What are my best options for this transport? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Ashford Avenue
Ashford Avenue
279 Reviews
Puerto Rico
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condado Beach to SJU on 28 December for a 7:54am Flight

Early Saturday morning traffic is not an issue. You should be at the airport at least 2 hours before your flight departs. TSA lines are slow at SJU. The ride to SJU is about 15 minutes. Take a taxi from your hotel. Ask the hotel concierge for assistance.

Royal Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condado Beach to SJU on 28 December for a 7:54am Flight

At 7 am the TSA lines are a breeze. It does not start picking up until about 10:30 am when the ships disembark. Leave Condado about 6:40 am.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,194 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condado Beach to SJU on 28 December for a 7:54am Flight

That used to be the case, but there is construction now and the TSA line has to accomodate more passengers. Also, you should be at the airport at least an hour brfore ypur flight, since boarding is 30min before and you might be denied entry if you are not checked in by then.

So, if you have carry ons, and you have checked in online, you should leave condado at about 6-6:15 to give you a cushion for unforseen traffic or long lines at TSA. Give yourself more time if you are checking bags, as then you will have to go through the FDA inspection line (which is not long) and check in counter.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,430 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condado Beach to SJU on 28 December for a 7:54am Flight

It's also busy at the Airport during the Holidays. I would leave 2 1/2 hours before the Flight by Taxi

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,979 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condado Beach to SJU on 28 December for a 7:54am Flight

Do yourself a favor and do not leave Condado less than 2 hours before your flight. TSA is in fact, slow. I've been there an hour before departure, and barely made my 7:30 am flight. It was already boarding by the time I made it to the gate.

Airport personnel starts working at 6:00 am. Several airlines have early morning flights.

Edited: 04 December 2013, 16:37
Sugar Land Texas USA
Level Contributor
129 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condado Beach to SJU on 28 December for a 7:54am Flight

Thank you all. Condado del Mar is a residential high rise, not a hotel. It seems that for a 7:54am flight, we should arrive at 6am and therefore be in a taxi at/before 5:45. Yes, we will have two suitcases to checkin (will be gone two weeks).

How reliable are taxis with a reservation? Specific companies/phone numbers we should consider (those who live in or frequently visit SJ)? Our first contact with a SJ taxi will be around 9am on 21 December when we go from pier to Ashford residence. Would I make a reservation for 5:45am to SJU with that taxi company? Will the price be set from Condado to SJU?

Thanks.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condado Beach to SJU on 28 December for a 7:54am Flight

Not the first flight of the day. For example, Southwest has a flight to Orlando at 7:05 a.m. Last month we didn't find the TSA lines terribly long, but it wasn't during a holiday period. What delayed us was the lack of baggage carts anywhere near where the taxi let us off (inside or outside the terminal), so we had to drag our bags (we had several, for a long trip) to the ag inspection section, then to the airline check-in counter, then to the X-ray machine (US Airways rep helped us at that stage).

We stayed in a hotel (Hilton Conadado Plaza) so just got our taxi there. If push comes to shove, maybe one of you could walk (run?) to the nearest large hotel (Radisson?) and get a taxi to come to your condo.

Edited: 04 December 2013, 17:24
Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condado Beach to SJU on 28 December for a 7:54am Flight

p.s. I'm told here that the lack of baggage carts when we departed was an anomaly.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,194 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Condado Beach to SJU on 28 December for a 7:54am Flight

I've never seen bagagge carts in the airport. Perhaps I just don't look for them?

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,194 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Condado Beach to SJU on 28 December for a 7:54am Flight

I've never seen bagagge carts in the airport. Perhaps I just don't look for them?

Price is fixed. $17+$1 per bag+$2 gas surcharge+$2 night surcharge. I take cabs at that time in the am and never bother to reserve. Most of the time they don't pick up the phone. I just walk to the nearest hotel. If you do reserve, then do it for 15-20min before you actually needed, as they usually arrive late.