We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which beach for a few hours?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
568 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Which beach for a few hours?

We will drive people from Cabo Rojo to the San Juan airport. We are looking for a beach in San Juan where we can spend a few hours between two departures. (first person's flight is at 1:30 am, second person's is at 5:30 pm). Nice beach with maybe a chill beach club, beach bar or restaurant would be perfect.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,200 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which beach for a few hours?

The Isla Verde beach is the only beach that has a beach bar/restaurant (as part of the Intercontinental hotel property). You can have lunch on the sand.

For safety reasons, avoid hanging at the beach when it's dark.

Edited: 10 December 2013, 14:44
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which beach for a few hours?

There is also a small open restaurant right across the Water Club hotel entrance. But it is open restaurant, so it may not be the best location for spending a few hours prior to flight.

Bloomfield CT. USA
Level Contributor
257 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which beach for a few hours?

Check out Escambron Beach. Blue flag beach with a nice restaurant/bar. It's located about mid way between Condado and Old San Juan.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which beach for a few hours?

Another good suggestion is Soleil Restaurant in Pinones which is a two story open air beachfront restaurant. The serve really good food and they have a bar. The views from the second floor dining area of the ocean are beautiful. You can also walk the boardwalk there or the beach. You didn't mention what day of the week; the weekend gets really busy on Rt 187 leading to the place. It's location is in front of the airport (you cannot see it or hear it), about 10 minutes away.

http://soleilbeachclub.com/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
568 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which beach for a few hours?

Thank you all!

These are all great suggestions. Our date is Sunday, January 5th. I will ask my kids to pick a place. How much time should we allocate from Isla Verde or Pinones to get to the airport for a 5 pm departure?

I have one more question: In August I was in the States and I saw a show on the Travel Channel that featured trendy beach bars around the world. One of them was in Sun Juan. I'm trying to search the web and cannot find it. It was really cool and trendy. They described it with the word 'sinful' or "sexy ". Would be awesome if i could find it. Probably my kids would welcome the change after the quiet beaches of Cabo Rojo.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which beach for a few hours?

Not sure about which bar was shoecased, but try Oceano in Condado.

I would not advise going to Pinones on Jan 5th. Probably extremely crowded. There is no parking space in the area, you have to park in the sand by the road. Usually is a 5min drive to airport, but with crowds you never know.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,966 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which beach for a few hours?

Oceano is nice, that was on Chef Ann Burell's " Chef wanted"

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
568 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which beach for a few hours?

Thank you again! They all look nice but because of the modern vibe I booked Sunday brunch at Oceano. I hope the drive is OK on Sunday afternoon and my twenty-something kids will have a great last day of vacation.

(btw it was Oceano on the Travel Channel...)

9. Re: Which beach for a few hours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2014, 05:16