We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do we persuade San Juan Airport to clean up their filth?

Deerfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
How do we persuade San Juan Airport to clean up their filth?

We flew out this afternoon on American. There are 3 mens and 3 ladies bathrooms we found along the main concourses of the American terminal. In all of them....NO SOAP. TOTALLY FILTHY AND DISGUSTING. ADDITIONALLY, TOILETS EVERYWHERE CLOGGED AND UNFLUSHED. The soap dispensers have been ripped off the tile walls and not replaced. Hope someone with some pride and some concern for public health does something about this. Don't know how else to express our outrage than post here, but we did go to Admirals Club, reported, and they gracefully allowed us to use their washrooms. Someone told me the airport management had been privatized and the place was improving. NOT!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do we persuade San Juan Airport to clean up their filth?

The whole airport is going to undergo a $250 million renovation including new state of the art bathrooms. The airport is making improvements. Instead of posting here, you should have gotten the airport management company's address or e-mail and complained directly to them.

Edited: 17 December 2013, 23:59
Deerfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do we persuade San Juan Airport to clean up their filth?

We don't think they care or take any pride in caring. I also sent complaint to AA. They should be more than concerned. It is disgusting.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do we persuade San Juan Airport to clean up their filth?

I did your homework for you. Below is the official website for the airport. You can call or e-mail their corporate offices with your complaint.

aeropuertosju.com/en/…

Deerfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do we persuade San Juan Airport to clean up their filth?

You did it for them and for public health. Don't get the feeling from the tone of your response that you really care, except to talk down to me. Trip Advisor public should know the place is filthy and the management lazy. It will take years to renovate there. We need soap and cleaning now.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do we persuade San Juan Airport to clean up their filth?

Sorry about your experience, but I agree with PRExplorer that a complaint needs to be filed with the airport. I actually live on the island and frequently fly out from the same airport and have never had any issues with the bathrooms, but can not say the same for any NYC airports...another reason why I always carry antibacterial wipes. Unfortunately, things happen & the airport was just having a rough day.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,184 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do we persuade San Juan Airport to clean up their filth?

These days there are more people going through the AA terminal due to the construction. Perhaps they should increase the cleaning frequency.

I go through SJU frequently, and have noticed a huge improvement in the maintenance of the airport after it got privatized. Perhaps it was a busy day at the airport. Please take the time to email the airport to voice your concern.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do we persuade San Juan Airport to clean up their filth?

Correction Charles043, if I did "not really care" I would not have responded to your post. I said I did "your homework" because I looked up the airport website for you. I did not contact the airport with your complaint. You need to register the complaint. Making a complaint to AA or here is going to have a limited response. I have not had your experience the many times I used the airport restrooms. The only complaint I can make is that they are dated and need a makeover. Maybe the cleaning staff was absent today for some good reason like illness.

Edited: 18 December 2013, 01:23
Deerfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do we persuade San Juan Airport to clean up their filth?

Wrong. The soap dispensers have been ripped off their mounts, nothing but some mounting screws protruding out of tile on the walls behind the sink faucets - in both mens and ladies, all of them. As for whether or not it's appropriate for me to post the info here, isn't that one of the reasons we depend on Trip Advisor and these forums? I got the info I needed from you, and if it's accurate, my complaints will be there tomorrow. Meanwhile, anyone going through this airport is now advised in advance to carry hand sanitizer. Cleaning staff was there today, but there are no soap containers to fill with soap. I've probably been through that airport 50 times in the past 12 years. This was an all time low. The place is sub par. The food is minor league (always has been), and the shops, what few there are are junk bins. All being said, I still love San Juan. This gross sanitation problem needs addressing immediately. Where does the help or airline staff which touches my food purchases, belongings and boarding pass do their business? Thanks for the email address. I'm the one doing the heavy lifting here, and if I hadn't I wouldn't encountered your useful info or condescending attitude.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Deerfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do we persuade San Juan Airport to clean up their filth?

I see no improvement. It's worse than it was, but this is in a disgusting league of its own.

Punta Santiago...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How do we persuade San Juan Airport to clean up their filth?

You should also send your complaint/observation to Puerto Rico Tourism Co.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean