We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need hotel advice

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
296 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Need hotel advice

We are currently booked to stay at the Ritz, now I'm hearing the area around there and the beach is not that safe. We were hoping to walk to some local restaurants and enjoy the beach. Now I'm not sure about staying there. Is it better to pick the Caribe Hilton and that area? Any others hotel suggestions? Thanks!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,548 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need hotel advice

That area is completely safe. However, the Ritz is a bit isolated from the main area in Isla Verde, so you have a 15min walk to the other hotels and restaurants.

The Caribe Hilton is in the area of Condado. It also is in a more secluded area, and entails a 15-20min walk to the central area of Condado. Both are good choices.

Washington
Level Contributor
145 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need hotel advice

We just stayed at the Ritz about a week ago. I didn't feel at all unsafe walking along Isla Verde Avenue during the day with my family. There are police posted all over the place and I find most people in that area to be very nice. As a matter of fact, a few of the locals seemed to be having a contest going to see who could wind more stuffed animals for my kids out of the crane game at the local Denny's. Never had anything like that happen here in the states. Not that nothing bad can happen, but as long as you stay in a populated area and on the main streets I think it is perfectly safe.

It only took us about five minutes to get from the Ritz to The El San Juan and Intercontinental if we didn't stop for anything, but a little longer to get to some of the other areas of Isla Verde. The Ritz is right on the beach and it is perfectly safe during the day. The only walking required to get to the beach is past the pool area.

Hope that helps!

Matt

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
296 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need hotel advice

Thanks Matt, it's good to hear you felt safe. I read there are a few small eateries nearby for breakfast and lunch, we aren't fans of hotel food. Now I just saw a post that the beach isn't a big stretch for a long walk. I guess no hotel is perfect and I should stop reading every post! How was the pool area?

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
296 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need hotel advice

Thanks for your help, good to hear its a safe area. A 15 minute walk is easy for us, we love small, local restaurants.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need hotel advice

Take a look at the area on google maps, it looks to me like you could go for a long walk on the beach. If you go east you walk toward the public beach and if you walk west you have to cross a street or two but then continue on the beach and can walk for a long stretch. I have never heard any particular issues with safety in Isla Verde (of course everyone says to take the usual precaution as when you travel anywhere). Actually I have heard that the area around the hotels in Isla Verde actually feels quite safe. Have a great trip!

Edited: 22 December 2013, 22:03
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
296 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need hotel advice

Thanks so much! Yes, I did check out google maps and saw the beach. I feel good about my decision and staying at the Ritz. I appreciate all the help!

Bloomfield CT. USA
Level Contributor
251 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need hotel advice

Check out Plato's. One of the better authentic eateries near the Ritz.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
296 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need hotel advice

Thanks for that, I'm saving that name and will certainly check it out. I love restaurant ideas!

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
7,944 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need hotel advice

If not the best, Metropol is one of the best local restaurants in Isla Verde. Not far from the Ritz.

Edited: 23 December 2013, 02:41
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Need hotel advice

Hi zachcassie, Try La Playita Cafe for breakfast or lunch. Its located at the end of the beach near the El San Juan ( about a 5 minute walk) outside seating which overlooks the bay where the Ritz is located. Also, as a ruie , the restaurants located in San Juan hotels are superior tosimilar restaurants on the mainland. Rather than feeling danger at the Ritz, you are likely to find it a little dull by PR standards.