We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Cervantes closed

Level Contributor
121 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Cervantes closed

Hi

Arrived here late last night, with a confirmed reservation, to find the hotel in darkness. Spoke to a barman next door who said it had been closed for a while - problems with electricity maybe. i've posted a review of the hotel also, shame they didn't contact customers to allow us to rebook somewhere in advance rather than have to pay a walk in rate when city is heaving with new year and pre cruise visitors! Thanks guys!

Punta Santiago...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Cervantes closed

That stinks I hope the rest of your time here works out better..almost impossible that it won't.

St. Cloud, MN
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Cervantes closed

Great! I am booked here on January 24th and I have been trying and trying to call with no answer. I've also attempted to contact them by e mail with no response. I think I'll book something different now...but where? We are sailing on Celebrity the next day. We really want to stay in Old San Juan but the only hotels left don't look that great. Is staying in Old San Juan that important? Especially if you have never been there before?

Mentioned in this post
Old San Juan
Old San Juan
14,086 Reviews
Puerto Rico
King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,965 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Cervantes closed

RRSchultz,

You do not need to stay in Old San Juan. All hotels in San Juan are 15 minutes or less from the piers. Any hotel you book will be close enough to the Old San Juan.

That being said, Hotel El Convento, Sheraton Old San Juan, Howard Johnson - Plaza de Armas and DaHouse are all located in the Old San Juan.

Mentioned in this post
Old San Juan
Old San Juan
14,086 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Hotel El Convento
Hotel El Convento
2,824 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Cervantes closed

Most of the charm of staying in OSJ is that rooms and hotel have an old world architecture. This is due to constructions restriction in OSJ to preserve architectural details and maintain architectural harmony between each building.

There is a Sheraton hotel in OSJ, but rooms are just like any other regular hotel (no old world charm here :)). It has a great port view, so when booking try to ask for a room view.

It is ok to stay outside OSJ like in Condado/Isla Verde/Ocean Park areas. These are really close to OSJ and just a taxi ride away (10-15min). OSJ has taxi availability 24/7 so you can walk around and enjoy until you feel tired.

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Park
Ocean Park
196 Reviews
Puerto Rico
St. Cloud, MN
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Cervantes closed

Thanks so much! Any place you would avoid?

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,965 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Cervantes closed

RRSchultz,

Avoid those hotels near the hospitals. They represent a hassle transportation-wise. Also avoid any hotel you can't find reviews on, or has too many (valid) negative reviews.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,430 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Cervantes closed

I believe they went bankrupt. Water and light got shut off weeks ago, which mean they they had not paid for many month

8. Re: Hotel Cervantes closed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 07:21