We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cervantes Hotel

St. Cloud, MN
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Cervantes Hotel

I am booked at the Cervantes on January 24th prior to our cruise. I am hearing through the grapevine that this hotel is closed??? I booked it through Booking.com and they have been absolutely no help. Can someone please deny or confirm this for me so I can make other arrangements. I booked this room back in March when we made the reservation! UGGHHH!!!!

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,414 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cervantes Hotel

Per the other thread you posted on, the hotel does appear to have closed. Even if it didn't close, I would rebook regardless because a hotel you can't get in touch with, is not a hotel you'll want to stay.

You do not need to stay in Old San Juan. All hotels in San Juan are 15 minutes or less from the piers. Any hotel you book will be close enough to the Old San Juan. Stay away from those near at the hospitals as they represent an inconvenience transportation-wise.

That being said, Hotel El Convento, Sheraton Old San Juan, Howard Johnson - Plaza de Armas and DaHouse are all located in the Old San Juan.

Edited: 07 January 2014, 18:54
St. Cloud, MN
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cervantes Hotel

Thanks so much. I re-booked at San Juan Park but I am re-thinking this decision given some of the reviews.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,414 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cervantes Hotel

Ok... Here's the thing: you almost had a negative experience with an unpopular hotel. Why book another unpopular hotel that could possibly give you another negative experience? The fact that the hotel's website is listing Euros on the prices instead of US dollars seems a little shady to me.

My best suggestion to you is to stick with the hotel names provided above, as well as the brand names hotels in Condado and Isla Verde. Better safe than sorry!

St. Cloud, MN
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cervantes Hotel

Thanks for replying. Before cancelling, I attmepted to contact them one more time and I was able to get through. They are having a problem with their generator and they are hoping to have it fixed by this week. The supervisor is meeting with the government (?) tomorrow morning and they should know more then. I told her that word is spreading that they are closed....she just said okay. I'll probably still cancel.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,414 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cervantes Hotel

"I told her that word is spreading that they are closed....she just said okay. I'll probably still cancel."

They're not giving you -nor can they give you- a firm answer as to whether or not the problem can be and when it will be resolved. I admire your patience, but keep in mind that you're traveling in just 2 weeks. That's not enough time to figure things out (for you nor them).

Having lived in PR for 25 years and knowing how things work there -specially when the government is involved- I wouldn't hesitate to cancel. Just take my word for it. Again, better safe than sorry.

St. Cloud, MN
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cervantes Hotel

True. I booked through Booking.com so they are dealing with it right now. They said they are going to ask the hotel to find me other accomodations and if they can't, they will even if they have to upgrade me. We will see. If I don't have a resolution by tomorrow, I will just book something else. Oh well! Thanks.

7. Re: Cervantes Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about San Juan
Recent Conversations