We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in San Juan + Priceline - HELP?

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
646 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels in San Juan + Priceline - HELP?

Heya,

So I feel VERY stupid posting this. First of all - I've never used priceline. Second - I'm looking at the hotel ratings in San Juan and they are TERRIBLE. Third I don't know how close in proximity everything is – beach/restaurants/cruise port/shops/airport etc.

So here's the deal - my mother and I are going cruising in May. We plan on staying in San Juan for 3 days to enjoy what it has to offer (whatever we can get our hands on). I have no idea where to stay but I’m assuming the closer to Old San Juan the better???? Also, noticed that hotels are relatively expensive and I don’t want to spend too much money on them because a) we won’t be spending much time there and b) I want to save money on excursions/activities/souvenirs/shopping.

So… here is where priceline comes in – and remember I’ve never used it and I kinda worry because I have to give my credit card and all. I also don’t know what the chances are of failing a bid and when you hear back from it

In priceline - try to navigate map and all - for Old San Juan - I see: Posada San Francisco, Casablanca Hotel, Chateau Cervantes, Sheraton Old San Juan (not sure if they are all in a bid and at what stars etc). There is also Ocean Park - Isla Verde – second closest location to San Juan (which I don’t know how far is located from the cruise port, restaurants, shopping, old San Juan etc). There are a TON of hotels around that area….

Any advice on this?

Thanks

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
646 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels in San Juan + Priceline - HELP?

Sorry I can't edit my post anymore - but I should mention that the taxes at 30%!!! Which is why I'm aiming for a cheaper room to accomidate taxe pricing (and yes I'm not making it up - just look up the Sheraton at Old San Juan)

canada
Level Contributor
1,665 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels in San Juan + Priceline - HELP?

HI Windsor Canada - Mississauga Canada here.

We are doing a cruise in Feb 2014 (ha next week!). We got a good deal direct with Best Western Plus Condado (or Palm inn it is also referred to as).

Friends of ours stayed here and said it was good for the price. Walgreens right across street, bus access, and 4 min walk to beach (which is right by the Marriott Stellaris). Check it out.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels in San Juan + Priceline - HELP?

You should look into vrbo, homeaway or even tripadvisor for places to rent for the days you're in San Juan. It will be much cheaper then a hotel.

Chicago
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels in San Juan + Priceline - HELP?

Greetings

I did the priceline express bid and got La Concha Resort in Condado for 109 a night for Feb 1-5. Great deal!! Used the NEWLOOK15 code to get a 15 percent discount

Good Luck,

Claudia

Edited: 01 February 2014, 07:00
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,449 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels in San Juan + Priceline - HELP?

First, you have to do a bit more research. There are 2 piers, both located within 15min of the airport. One, the Carnival pier, is located in OSJ, and the Panamerican pier (RC, Celebrity), is located across the bay.

The areas of OSJ, Condado and Isla Verde are all located within 15min of the airport and the piers. There are restaurants and shops in each area. Choose a hotel based on budget and ammenities. Condado has a beach (rough) and many restaurants, while Isla Verde has a calmer beach with less options for restaurants (but still enough). In OSJ is where you find the forts and museums. You csn easily take a cab between these areas.

The recommendation for Priceline is to only bid for resorts in OSJ, Condado or Isla Verde. That way you can be sure to get a hotel in a great location and of quality. Bids are won around at $100per night, and they get the Marriott Stellaris, Caribe Hilton and Hilton Condado, among others.

There are websites that teach you how to bid, like betterbidding. Personally, I am having better luck with hotwire mystery deals. The zones are better defined and it is easy to figure out the hotels. But I have not tried it in PR.

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels in San Juan + Priceline - HELP?

I would NEVER use priceline in PR. Their choices include some very good hotels, but also some that are not so good. There are other discount sights where you can see what hotel you are getting. Use TA to select and book a good deal.

Royal Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels in San Juan + Priceline - HELP?

We have used Priceline the last 4 times in SJ and got a good deal each time. You have to bid for a RESORT property in the San Juan area. We got the Caribe Hilton twice and the Marriott Stellaris twice. Distance to the pier should not be a factor as all are within 5 or 6 miles (most within 2 miles) with no traffic on Saturday or Sunday when the cruises depart.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
646 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels in San Juan + Priceline - HELP?

Thanks I'll take all your responses into considerations

@WTPArmok what sites are you referring to?

@thorntree you said you bid on a RESORT property.... the only options though are hotels and what starts... am I looking at this wrong?

Thanks guys

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,429 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels in San Juan + Priceline - HELP?

http://www.betterbidding.com/ - for Priceline and Hotwire bidding tips and wins.

Royal Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels in San Juan + Priceline - HELP?

They used to have a Resort catagory. Now they have added a boutique hotel and the Sheraton Convention Center and divided San Juan in 2 parts Old San Juan and Condado and Ocean Park and Isle Verde. If you want a sure bet on the Ocean I woul pick Isle Verde for 4 stars. Do not bid less than 4 stars. Their are no 4 stars in Ocean Park. You might not get exactly the one you want, but you will save at least $100 per night.