We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Ponce alone (27yo female) - safety?

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Memphis, Tennessee
1 post
Save Topic
Going to Ponce alone (27yo female) - safety?

Hi all

My husband has a business trip planned in PR coming up in two weeks. I'm trying to see if I can take some time off and join him. I would fly in on Wednesday afternoon, be in Ponce while he works until Friday, then we'd spend Friday afternoon/evening and all day Saturday together in San Juan. So what I worry about is being "on my own" in Ponce exploring and being a tourist by myself for a day and a half in Ponce. I'm not a stay at the beach all day with a book type of person. I want to explore, hike, have an adventure. I was looking into the Caja de Muertos day trip (seems safe enough if I'd be with a bunch of other tourists) but they don't run on Thursdays when I would want to go. Any suggestions for "safe adventures" or warnings for a single gal at it by herself in Ponce?

Thanks!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Ponce alone (27yo female) - safety?

There are some great attractions in Ponce:

Ponce has an excellent museum which was renovated and enlarged not long ago. They have Baroque and classical European paintings. It is probably the best museum in PR.

http://www.museoarteponce.org/

Here are others:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g147323-Activiti…

You can visit

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Ponce alone (27yo female) - safety?

Do not travel alone at night anywhere.

Pelham, Alabama
Level Contributor
9 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Ponce alone (27yo female) - safety?

Ponce is not a bad place, just stay in downtown and make sure to go to the Museo de Arte, Serrales Castle and the Cross at the Vigia Mountain. Don't give money to anyone as you will be approach a lot. Buen Viaje!

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,068 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Ponce alone (27yo female) - safety?

Ponce is safe during the day, but not at all at night. If you're driving, watch closely where you go as some areas are shady/unsafe.

5. Re: Going to Ponce alone (27yo female) - safety?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 06:18