We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airplane view

Slidell, Louisiana
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Airplane view

this is probably a dumb question but i'm coming in from orlando. is there a better side of the plane to sit on to get a better view when arriving?

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airplane view

Depends on the approach and the route.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,182 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airplane view

Left side gets a better view of OSJ.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airplane view

Agreed. Planes come in from the west over San Juan. On the left side of the plane you will see the forts and cruise ships.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
162 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airplane view

The question is from were is your flight coming from? if you are coming from a place like Vieques then the left side will be great but if you are coming from Florida then you will not be able to see much.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,182 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airplane view

Flights usually come from the US slightly inland, so the left gets the view of OSJ, the right gets Hato Rey. I love seeing El Morro from the sky, so I try to seat on the left.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airplane view

The from is meaningless. There is a preferred approach, but its really governed by the weather. If there is a storm often they reverse the whole pattern Sign up for a civilian pass on www.flightaware.com You can watch the planes taking off and landing. Choose a satellite view and you will see exactly what is going on.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airplane view

I also try to seat on the left side; great view of El Morro , Condado and Isla Verde areas.

Mentioned in this post
Condado Beach
Condado Beach
1,175 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Isla Verde
Isla Verde
Puerto Rico
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airplane view

Of course, left side standing looking towards the flight pit :) right side when you are walking into the plane towards your seat :)

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airplane view

Just checking now:

We have a South West 737 on short final where you would want the left.

A United Airlines 737 doing a crosswind approach, in this case your only chance to see anything and its not much is on the right.

American airlines 757 on the same route in as the United.

There is an Airborne Express flight who is outbound from San Juan that took off to the west.

There is a Jet Blue E190 which is showing he has been given a choice of 2 approaches.

My guess is there are shifting winds right now and some of this is pilots discursion.

Help me out gang I can't be the only person here with live access to the national radar grid.

Update Jet Blue has chosen the left in approach.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
10. Re: Airplane view

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 06:34