We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba or snorkel?!? Charlie Car rental?

houston
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba or snorkel?!? Charlie Car rental?

Hi! Just wondering if scuba is worth it in the San Juan area or if we should just stick with snorkeling? We will be staying at the Condado Plaza and the Conquistador/Waldorf..... so 1) is scuba worth the extra cost (would have to do one of the resort courses because we are not certified and I am sure that affects where they would take us) 2) which area is better for scuba/ snorkeling?

Also I was planning to rent a car from Charlie Car Rental... I didn't see any recent reviews and wanted to make sure this was still a recommendation. I've seen quite a few horror stories on the forums about other rental car operators.

thanks in advance!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,172 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba or snorkel?!? Charlie Car rental?

Charley's gets consistantly good reviews. Take a snorkelling trip. East Island Excursion runs one over to Culebra that is a lot of fun.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba or snorkel?!? Charlie Car rental?

Best scuba diving is for licensed persons. Save your money and do as PR_Bob says, go snorkeling to Culebra. It is well worth your money.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba or snorkel?!? Charlie Car rental?

I second Charlies, we had no problems with them and had a very nice car. Have fun!

houston
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba or snorkel?!? Charlie Car rental?

I just wanted to report back if others have the same questions- we had no issues with Charlies rental cars. We rented at the airport, drove out to Fajardo and stayed out there a couple of nights and the came into San Juan and returned the car near our hotel in Condado since we didnt need a car in San Juan. I think we actually got a cheaper rate because we were not returning it to the airport.

We went snorkeling in Culebra with East Island Excursions and had THE BEST time- definitely the highlight of our trip. We were not originally planning to go to Culebra as we did not think we could fit it in our schedule and we are SO glad we listened to everyone's advice! If you are in PR, Culebra needs to be at the top of your "must do" list.

5. Re: Scuba or snorkel?!? Charlie Car rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 05:16