We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free shopping in airport

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Concord, New...
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Topic
Duty free shopping in airport

I will be arriving from Punta Cana airport with a 3 hour layover in San Juan. Will I be able to take advantage of the duty free shops before heading to Logan in Boston? What are some good deals to look for?

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty free shopping in airport

Yes. You can buy in the duty free shops the same day that you are departing SJU (not on the way into SJU).

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,846 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty free shopping in airport

Keep in mind that "Duty Free" doesn't always mean the item(s) you will be purchasing will be less expensive than you might pay elsewhere. You have to be an "informed shopper" to know if what you are buying is a "good deal".

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty free shopping in airport

A duty free purchase at a US airport (which SJU is) has no tax advantage (i.e. Duty Free) going to another US airport like Logan. If there is any better price due to exemptions from duties, it would only be from Punta Cana to SJU.

The reality is that duties going into the US have fallen dramatically from what they were many decades ago when duty free shops were started and duties could exceed 100% . Now duty free shops is only a brand name for a group of discount stores.

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty free shopping in airport

Thanks all for the responses. I am for sure an informed shopper and am hoping to score a few good deals on alcohol. Any limit as to how much you can bring? Also can it be a carry on since I'm already in the airport and have passed security?

Bedford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty free shopping in airport

Duty free does not mean profit free

6. Re: Duty free shopping in airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 05:17