We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4th of July in San Juan

Reading...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
4th of July in San Juan

I've searched the web and this site thoroughly and haven't found much information on 4th of July fireworks/celebrations in San Juan. I did read that it generally depends on the government at the time, whether they are pro-statehood or not. Does anyone have any up-to-date information about possibly seeing fireworks in San Juan for the 4th of July this year? Last year La Concha said that there were going to be some in Old San Juan. We got down there, asked the police, and they told us they were going to be in Condado so we gave up. Thanks for your help in advance.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,200 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4th of July in San Juan

The Fourth of July is not as celebrated in PR as it is here in the mainland US. Locals usually go to the beach and that's it. Fireworks may or may not happen; it's usually a "who knows" kind of thing. But because of the party currently in charge, I would think that no fireworks will take place this year. I could be wrong though.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,105 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4th of July in San Juan

PR's indepence day is not July 4th. They have their own. It is a US holiday and people will have the day off and hit the beach. Don't expect anything special.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4th of July in San Juan

PR_bob, I guess you are refering to Constitution day (july 25th). We are not independent, so we don't have an independence day.

The current government is pro-commonwealth, so there will be no official celebration. When there are fireworks, they are always by the Condado Lagoon. Fireworks in OSJ are done on other special occassions, and they are rarely advertised.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,105 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4th of July in San Juan

nytoparis, you are correct. I was just trying to point out that the 4th, really doesn't mean much except being a federal holiday. Thanks for filling in the correct information.

5. Re: 4th of July in San Juan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 06:16