We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightlife

Aurora, Illinois
5 posts
Save Topic
Nightlife

Will be traveling in 27 days! Will be staying in the Condado area. Would like recommendations on clubs, preferably hip-hop! Thanks! If it helps our age group is mid 20's.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,847 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightlife

Club Brava in El San Juan hotel is the only club in the tourist area. Dress code is elegant, no jeans or sneakers.

La Placita in Santurce is an area with bars and some dancing. This area is more casual. Best on thursday or friday night.

OSJ has a variety if bars.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightlife

Hi V, Start out in the lobby of La Concha. There is usually live entertainment at the Marriot and El Barril, Oceano has a late night ultra lounge, all in the Condado. Old San Juan has a number of bars etc.

San Juan
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nightlife

Monday day night you can attend La Respuesta an art gallery that turns into a club at nights in Santurce not far from Condado [quick taxi ride]. Monday nights they only play Hip-Hop, R&B, Dancehall, Soul. Its what we'd consider an "after hours" so the crowd usually wont start arriving until nearly midnight. Its hosted by DJ Velcro. He's awesome! He also plays Sunday nights at Pal Cielo in Santurce/Condado. Here you will find the heart of the urban community in San Juan. Hope you enjoy! :)

Aurora, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nightlife

Thanks!

Edited: 06 July 2014, 02:54
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nightlife

nytoparis, Club Brava do play hip hop, but not in big numers and La Placita IS NOT a hip hop place. They might play in some of the little bars like "Vibra" (if they still open), but in general, that's not a place for Hip Hop fans.There is a bar with a stripper pole(Not a strip club bar) in La Placita area that sometimes play some "old school", but that's a hit or miss. I wont waste my cab money unless you want to see the crowd and have a good time drinking and chatting with locals.

Puerto Rico in general is not big on Hip Hop contrary to other islands that attract large numbers like Cancun, Jamaica, or DR.

Puerto Rico do have its own urban music called "Reggaeton" and is mostly strict to locals. Unfortunately most urban clubs posses some security concerns. I plan to visit some and see if the security is good.

While you in San Juan check with the locals, clubs constantly close and open with different names. I don't even know if IGLU (formerly known as Flying Saucer) is open, and I do know Club Lazer is closed.

Next time you come to the island, come during Memorial Weekend. Google "Urban Fiesta" and check their website. I met a nice nurse, and a dentist assistance from Atlanta few years ago jijijiji.

The recommendations above are good, but La Placita is not for hip hop. Have fun.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,847 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nightlife

Boricua-one, I agree with you about La Placita, which is why I said "is an area with bars and some dancing". Just tried to give him some options, since Club Brava is the only club around, and yes, not exclusively hip hop.

That igloo place is closed. There is another club by Ponce de Leon near Centro de Bellas Artes, but I would not recommend it as there have been a few incidents there.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nightlife

Thanks for that info ny2.

8. Re: Nightlife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:18