We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extended Family Trip Over Christmas

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Extended Family Trip Over Christmas

I am trying to plan a warm weather getaway over Christmas to a place that has direct flights from Chicago for about 5-7 days. 2 grandparents (70 yr olds), 4 adults (30-35 year olds), and 2 young kids (1 and 4 yr olds).

I know Christmas is peak time, but I have a few questions.

>>What has the weather been like over recent Christmases? Is it warm enough to swim?

>>What resorts would you recommend that are kid friendly and on a beach? We stayed at the Hilton Caribe last time and this was definitely kid friendly. It felt a bit run down at the time, so I see the Marriott, La Concha, and the Ritz all have favorable reviews.

>>Are there any house rentals on (or very near) a beach? San Juan would be ideal for us to minimize the domestic travel given we are planning a 1 week trip. I had read about people hiring chefs to come prepare meals in the home which also sounded fantastic.

>>Can El Yunque be done as a daytrip? Are there kid friendly areas for an adventurous 4 yr old (we have a hiking carrier for the little one)? Any recommended tour companies to help arrange private transportation for our group from San Juan?

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extended Family Trip Over Christmas

La Concha is not family friendly, plus pool and beach is not even ideal for kids. Consider the Intercontinental hotel on Isla Verde. Weather is warm, but pool water temperature could vary day by day. El Yunque can be done as a day trip.

Another option is El Conquistador in Fajardo, you will need a car but this provide flexibility to visiting El Yunque and other attractions nearby.

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extended Family Trip Over Christmas

Make sure to visit the Mall of the Americas to see the 3 Kings. The lights in the park are neat to see in OSJ. You will see lots of families in the parks at night. We have swam in the ocean every time we have been there over Christmas. Condado Beach will be pretty rough at this time of year. That is why we enjoy Isla Verde.

Edited: 12 July 2014, 01:05
Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extended Family Trip Over Christmas

Make sure to visit the Mall of the Americas to see the 3 Kings. The lights in the park are neat to see in OSJ. You will see lots of families in the parks at night. We have swam in the ocean every time we have been there over Christmas. Con dado Beach will be pretty rough at this time of year. That is why we enjoy Isla Verde.

4. Re: Extended Family Trip Over Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 05:16