We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice Shopping

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. John
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Nice Shopping

Hello everyone....my husband and i will be there this weekend and are from St. John so we have been to Puerto Rico many times. We go to Plaza Las Americas all the time but we are looking for more upscale shopping (especailly for him). Where on the island are there shops that have all the new expensive jeans and fashions for men? Plaza Las Americas offers a lot of choices for women but not much for men. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice Shopping

Ahhh...good question and your timing couldn't be more perfect.

In Condado within the past year, they have recently opened a Ferragamo, Dior and most recently a Gucci boutique. They are primarily accessory boutiques but bright and sunny and fun to shop in. Ferragamo has a small selection of clothing. This in addition to the Louis Vuitton, Cartier and Mont Blanc stores that were already there. All of this is within one block on Ashford Ave directly across from Ventana del Mar park. (Ashford Ave @ Mariano Ramirez.) A few doors down is Soula which is women's shoe boutique that carries Christian Louboutin, Valentino, and Richard Tyler.

A little ways down on Ashford, close to Avenida Condado is one of my favorite Menswear boutiques on the planet, Abitto. They carry some of the more advanced designers, Dsquared, John Galliano, Roberto Cavalli. But you can also find some classic pieces from D&G, Valentino R.E.D. and Dior Homme.. great jeans and belts there.

Two doors down is a more conservative boutique called Monsieur. It's not as label driven as Abitto, but they carry very nice clothing in there too. Around the corner on Avenida Condado is another men's boutique, a bit more young and trendy, but they have good denim there too. The name escapes me at the moment, it's a litte ways down from Walgreen's on the opposite side of the street.

The outlets on Calle Cristo in Old San Juan are always fun, though Gant & Polo have some good stuff for me.

And one of my best kept secrets is a Marshall's in Santurce on Robert Todd. It's totally hit or miss, but I have come away from there with killer deals on a few pairs of Diesel jeans.

St. John
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice Shopping

Thank you soooo much (what a great reply)!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
7,977 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice Shopping

How about the new outlet mall at 66 & 3. They have upscale shops.

PR
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice Shopping

plaza las americas has some good stores for men, i don't know what you call upscale but you can find all the designer jeans you wan t right there , are many men boutiques in santurce and around the san juan area too

Ohio
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice Shopping

Sound like there are a lot of upscale shops. How are the prices as compared to the midwest contiguous US?

I saw in another post that there is going to be another 7% sales tax. Is this on top of an existing 6.5%?

Thanks.

san juan,Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
742 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice Shopping

i don't know prices compard to midwest US . There are many stores here that are different from the US even though they are american stores like JCPennys, it's only upscale store is located in San Juan, You can find designer stores in the historic district and condado as well (gucci,polo,puma,l.vuitton) , Spanish stores liike ZARA and Mango in Plaza las americas have the best european styles for men and women.

NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice Shopping

The retails at Gucci, Ferrgamo etc are the same as they would be in the United States.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
314 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice Shopping

Wow, cbcito, what a great reply, I think the local designers, which I have had to go in search of are incredible, stores like Oui, on the same road as Plaza, and the little boutiques in Condado, Lisa Capelli, Maldonado (I'm sorry I don't know his first name) are just a few, there is a designer in Old San Juan on Plaza de Armas that looks incredible, I just don't know how to get in , but could do some major damage, there is also a boutique on the corner of Calle San Juan and Cristo, Spanish designer that has some cool stuff.

NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice Shopping

Nono Maldonado is the name you are looking for. He just recently moved his shop to the 2nd floor above the film development place on Ashford (near Dunkin). You can actually spot him in the neighborhood from time to time. He sorta has a tropical Karl Lagerfeld thing going on with the big sunglasses and hair.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
314 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice Shopping

Mucho Gracious, whenever we are in San Juan, we always have to go to my husbands favorite pizza place, Villa Appia, in Condado, where he catches up with old friends, he used to own the Comic Strip Night CLub on Ashford Ave in the 80's, I leave him there and run up and down the block with his American Express! We moved to RIncon from Manhatten, I tell my friends I've gone from Prada to Kathyryn Smith at WalMart! Next trip I will be sure to look for Norman Maldanodo, I think his work is brilliant. I hope we see a hot Latin designer on the next Project Runway.