We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a visa to go to Puerto Rico

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sterling, Virginia
Level Contributor
369 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need a visa to go to Puerto Rico

Hello,

My wife and I have US Green Cards - do we still need to get a visa to go to PR?

Please let me know

thx

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
7,977 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a visa to go to Puerto Rico

Nope. Just like getting off a plane in Orlando. No customs. They won't even look for a green card. Just a photo ID to get on the plane.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need a visa to go to Puerto Rico

you will whatever documents that you would need to travel (fly) state to state.

happy and safe travels,

doda

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need a visa to go to Puerto Rico

Do take your green card, because I have been ask traveling P. R. - California, if I was a US Citizen ( and I look and talk as American as anybody) and when I told them no ,I had to show them my green card.

NYC
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need a visa to go to Puerto Rico

lets say you do not have a drivers license....can you show a foreign passport at the airport check-in? how about an ID card issued from a university? will they ask for a green card/student visa etc (something that proves youre not in the country illegally) if you show a foreign passport?

thanks

rqf
New York City
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need a visa to go to Puerto Rico

Bunny 123 - I am curious as to who asked for a green card when you went from PR directly to California. You did not have to go through Immigration or Customs

NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need a visa to go to Puerto Rico

When you fly back into the United States from San Juan, there are immigration officials that stand in the tunnel thing you go through to get on board. They just ask you what your citizenship is; but it's not a formal customs/immigration procedure as it would be for an international flight. No passport, nor visa is required.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
7,977 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need a visa to go to Puerto Rico

My wife is Canadian and has a green card. We have traveled to PR for the last 20 years. Never have been asked for a green card. She just showe here drivers license. Never been ask for it traveling from Ohio to florida either. There is no customs. The only time she used her green card is when she forgot her drivers license and we were at the airport. She showed it as a Government Photo ID and let her on the plane to PR and back again. The only time she has been asked is at customs crossing a border. They ask her citizenship and she show a US drivers license. So the want to see the Green card or visa.

Rincon, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
99 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need a visa to go to Puerto Rico

As cbcito said, recently (we last travelled in September 06) they have had immigration officers in the tunnels to the plane at SJU asking passengers what their citizenship is. If you say anything other than 'American', they ask for supporting documentation. I assumed that this is because of illegal immigration problems from PR to the US. Better safe than sorry, bring documentation!

chicago, il
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need a visa to go to Puerto Rico

I was also informed by one of my friends who lives in PR, works in mainland USA and on a work visa in USA, that on her weekly trips back and forth there have been just a couple of occasions when someone asked to see her immigration documents. Nothing formal, just check the passport for a valid visa to get back into the mainland or supporting documentation.

Better safe than sorry, I would advice you to carry the green card just in case. No visa is reqd though to travel back and forth.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I need a visa to go to Puerto Rico

I have the same question. I have a valid H-4 spouse visa which makes me I cannot travel outside the US. But,the PR is US territory.

But, what you are saying make slittle snese to me. It sounds like nothing but discrimination. How can they randomly pick out individuals to check their immigration status? Does someone look less "Unmerican" than others because of their skin color? That's BS!