We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from San Juan to Ponce - female

Lincoln, NE
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
Driving from San Juan to Ponce - female

Hi Everyone. I have read a few posts indicating that the drive from San Juan airport to Ponce is fairly easy. I will be staying in Ponce and my wife will meet me after I arrive a few days in, she might need to get a rental car to get from San Juan to Ponce since I cannot get her.

Is it a safe drive? Does she need to worry about her personal safety? Is the drive like a rural road in the US, minimally maintained US highway, or like a normal highway interstate in the US?

My question isn't to have any indication that the area or people are unsafe or bad, I am just worried about her being alone in such an unfamiliar environment. She might also have some fears in driving alone while on vacation. Would US GPS or iphones with GoogleMaps (or some other map guiding software) work down there?

We are really looking forward to the island, history, and relaxing. Will be hopefully at the Hilton in Ponce.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
498 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from San Juan to Ponce - female

100% safe and an easy drive. All highway same as in the states and GPS will work

Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from San Juan to Ponce - female

It's a very easy and safe journey once out of the San Juan Metro area. RT 52 is like U.S. interstate highways; it's a limited access divided toll highway all the way down to Ponce.

On a side note, there are no great beaches in the Ponce area unless you take the ferry and spend the day at Caja de Muerto Island which is beautiful.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from San Juan to Ponce - female

It's easy to get there on Highway 52, but then have a easy meeting place. Driving around Ponce Town is not easy, many one way streets. I have gotten lost there and we have been visiting Family there for years

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from San Juan to Ponce - female

The drive is easy and safe, and the Hilton is just off the highway. The only tricky part is that you go through the mountains, so half of the trip you go up, then have to watch your brakes as you go down. This is also a main route for cargo trucks, so you have to watch out for those.

If you will have a car already, and she will just rent for one day, consider sending her out on a taxi. There is also an airport in Ponce serviced by Jetblue. Maybe you can figure out a connection that will work for her.

5. Re: Driving from San Juan to Ponce - female

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Ponce
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now