We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking the La Mina trail at El Yunque, pregnant

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking the La Mina trail at El Yunque, pregnant

I hope this isn't a question that has been asked a zillion times... I couldn't find anything about it on here...

I'll be 17 weeks pregnant when we go...and I REALLY want to hike the La Mina trail and go to the waterfall... I consider myself to be in good shape and I'm very active... a little on the heavy side, but that has never stopped me from participating in any kind of physical activity..... So is it doable??

Puerto Rico
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking the La Mina trail at El Yunque, pregnant

Well, the trail is quite long but it's pretty easy... just long. A big part of it is covered with concrete and the rest of it with flat ground... not too much bumps or anything. I'm not a physician or anything, but I think you could do it.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking the La Mina trail at El Yunque, pregnant

I agree- if you are pretty physically fit, you should be fine. Just be careful, wear sneakers or hiking shoes for traction, and take your time coming back up. It is mainly steps, and lots of them!

It is a nice walk/hike- people really enjoy the waterfall- it makes it worth the effort!

Level Contributor
1,109 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking the La Mina trail at El Yunque, pregnant

Don't forget to drink plenty of water during your hike. It is really easy to get dehydrated

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
364 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking the La Mina trail at El Yunque, pregnant

The easiest way to go is through Big Tree Trail since La Mina Trail has 490 steps. You should park, hike, and return to the parking lot at Big Tree Trail entrance.

Nevertheless, it is considered a moderate to challenging effort. Depends on which time of the year you come, humidity, dust from the Sahara Desert, and ashes from Monserrat´s Island volcano doubles the effort.

Before deciding, ask your doctor.

Good luck.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking the La Mina trail at El Yunque, pregnant

Thanks for your input! My doc doesn't know what the trail is like, and she basically told me, if it's not dangerous and the general consensus is that it's doable, then you should be fine... just rest if you need to and DRINK!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking the La Mina trail at El Yunque, pregnant

I can't stress enough how important it is for you to wear shoes with good traction. It can be slippery at times and the last thing you want to worry about is falling.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking the La Mina trail at El Yunque, pregnant

I agree with Javier- Big Tree trail would be easier. And it takes you down to the same place. It is a wider trail and it is more sloping than steps. It is not quite as pretty (La Mina trail goes along the waters edge), but it has information signs along the way about the forest.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
8 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking the La Mina trail at El Yunque, pregnant

hiking this trail pregnant should not be problem if you are in generally good health. i have hiked it with a small child in a sling and my husband has hiked it with a toddler in a back carrier. it can be slippery!

if you start from the upper end of the trail it is all downhill with many steps. once you get to the waterfall it is a combo of flat and a little bit of uphill to get back to the road. if you are with somebody and have your car parked at the higher location you can always continue down and have your companion hike back up to the car and then drive and get you.

have fun!

Jersey
Level Contributor
198 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking the La Mina trail at El Yunque, pregnant

Hi Yankee Mami,

I think you could do it. Please take you time and go with someone who can help you go along. It is a very simple trail but it can be very slippery when wet.

Good Luck!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
25 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking the La Mina trail at El Yunque, pregnant

This weekend I hiked the La Mina Trail going down to the waterfall and took Big Tree Trail back up. The degree of difficulty is moderate/challenging and it felt that way for me. I am fairly active and fit, but I do suffer from asthma, which contributed to my struggles. Definitely wear the right shoe...I can't tell you how many times I saw people in flip flops going up and down the trail! I even saw one woman barefoot and carrying her pumps!!! Also, please bring aqua shoes, or something you can throw on to go into the waterfall. Being pregnant, you don't want to risk slipping into the rocks, which can be a bit slippery and uncomfortable. It's beautiful though, so enjoy it!

Get answers to your questions about El Yunque National...