We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speaking of the expense of food at the Wyndham....delivery??

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Speaking of the expense of food at the Wyndham....delivery??

Do any nearby restaurants deliver to the Rio Mar???

We'll have a car for two of the 5 days....but after calling the hotel to find out that the breakfast buffet is $23/adult (and nearly having a coronary!).... I am trying my best to make our food expenditures as reasonable as possible.... I'm pregnant...and I'm ALWAYS hungry lol So I can't skimp on food!

Any ideas?

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,098 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Speaking of the expense of food at the Wyndham....delivery??

We have a softside cooler we pack with us. Keep it filled with Ice from the hotel. We will stop at the grocery store and get lunch meats etc. Also at the Breakfast Buffet, I have never had an issue taking a few things back to the rom, fruit, cerial etc.

dc
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Speaking of the expense of food at the Wyndham....delivery??

There's a bakery right at the corner where you turn off #3 to head towards the Rio Mar. You can get lots of stuff there all throughout the day: big sandwiches (including a yummy omelet-in-a-sandwich that makes a great breakfast, can't remember if they call it a "sandwich de huevo" or a "tortilla en pan" or something else), freshly baked bread to make your own sandwiches, pastries, some finger foods. There's a couple of other places at the same spot, a cheap Chinese take-out kind of place, and a nicer sit-down restaurant with pretty good local food. There's also lost of places lining #3 before and after the Rio Mar exit. If you have a car, you won't have diffculty finding cheaper food in the surrounding area.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Speaking of the expense of food at the Wyndham....delivery??

I always request a mini fridge in the room to store food and drinks. I'm not sure if it automatically comes with the room. You may want to check on that.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Speaking of the expense of food at the Wyndham....delivery??

Great! Thanks for that input! I figured we'd just really have to scope out what's available that first day when we have the car...and then plan accordingly :-)

This bakery.... now THAT sounds interesting...I'm going to have to tell my folks about it b/c that's right up their alley...

dc
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Speaking of the expense of food at the Wyndham....delivery??

Here's an older post that has the name of the bakery:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147320-i72-k25577…

Enjoy!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Speaking of the expense of food at the Wyndham....delivery??

As long as you have a car, you can stop off at the nearby supermarket- "Amigo" and stock up on breakfast food.

If you can get a fridge in the room, that would be best. If not, the cooler idea works well- at least for drinks and snacks.

There are lots of places to get reasonable meals (lunch/ dinner) pretty close to the Rio Mar- Brisas del Verde and Madre Tierra ( both right on RT 3, to the west a few miles).

With the costs of the meals on site, the cost of a car rental might make it worth it to keep it for a few extra days!.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Speaking of the expense of food at the Wyndham....delivery??

It's funny... my mom and dad remember the Isamar Bakery......and when I told them it was suggested on here my dad was thriled.... So that's a must-stop for us :-)

I know once we get there we'll put our act together very quickly, but in the meantime, the anticipation makes us all crazy!

Thanks again everyone! :-)

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Speaking of the expense of food at the Wyndham....delivery??

Just in front of Isamar Bakery there is a Mini Market "Colmado Rodriguez" for juices, beers, sandwich bread, ham, cheese, etc. if you rent a car for the whole trip, eating outside the hotel will pay for it...

Isamar delivers Pizza but not breakfast or sandwiches.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Speaking of the expense of food at the Wyndham....delivery??

Also, across Rd.#3, at the Palmer neighborhood, there is the Plamer Bakery--- yummy breakfast and local food. Cheap and clean. Isamar also has pizza delivered! On #3 Rd, going west, there are other places like a bigger supermarket (Amigo) a Subway and other bakeries. Going east, there are even more, inside and outside shopping malls. One of our favorites is Lolita's, for luch or dinner. Mexican, cheap & yummy. At Fajardo mall (15 away) there's Metropol, cuban-puertorrican cookery, moderate and very good, from salmon and seafood to rice and beans. They have also international & american cuisine. More high end restaurants in the area are also nicer and chaper than the hotel.

Ohio
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Speaking of the expense of food at the Wyndham....delivery??

There is a small bakery/ice cream/coffee shop inside the Rio Mar. We did the $50 (for two) breakfast buffet one morning. It was good but not worth $25 apiece. The other mornings we went to the coffee shop for muffins/donuts/etc. These items are very reasonable in price and very good.

As for the other restaurants in Rio Mar, yes they are expensive but I did not think they were excessive for a resort like that. We ate at the resort every evening and enjoyed all of our meals. We liked the seafood restaurant (Aqua Luna) the best. We typically would spend $80 - $100 for three of us.

Get answers to your questions about El Yunque National...