We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young honeymooners looking for fun on the island

San Antonio, TX =)
9 posts
Save Topic
Young honeymooners looking for fun on the island

We are a young couple, both 22, and booked a reservation at the rio mar beach hotel. we would love suggestions on where to go for drinks and latin dancing (bachata, merengue, salsa, reggaeton). We are interested in venues that attract a young crowd. We did book a car rental so transportation is not a problem. Im a college student and hes a soldier so we are looking for some hip and fun places to drink and dance the night away. Thanks yall. =)

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Young honeymooners looking for fun on the island

Well..... Rio Mar might have been a mistake. Not much night life in Rio Grande!

You will have to drive into Isla Verde area- there you will find great stuff!

El San JUan Hotel has a very nice club, also the roof top at Water Club.

Old San Juan also is alive at night. Nuyourican Cafe- very hip.

But be careful with drinking and driving- it is about 1 hr drive with plenty of lives and cops in between.

San Antonio, TX =)
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Young honeymooners looking for fun on the island

=) we dont mind the drive. we fell in love with the natural surroundings that rio grande has to offer. He has stayed in SJ (condado plaza) during his days as a batchelor and he was disappointed by what he saw. he imagined PR as a lush tropical island, which it is of course in the right areas. So instead of staying in the city for our honeymoon we chose this spot. Relax in the rural area during the day and party out at night in the city. Perfect.

Plus he has been out in the middle of iraq for the past 5 months so he will appreciate the green-ness of rio grande. =)

thank you so much for your suggestions. im sure we will have a blast. And of course I will be the responsible DD. We have too much to live for. Any other suggestions please throw them our way. We would love to bar hop/club hop at the right venues.

Seattle
Level Contributor
318 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Young honeymooners looking for fun on the island

Definitely Old San Juan at night for honeymooners. There is little that is more romantic! Flowerfarm has great suggestions for a young hip environment.

Good job, designated driver. Have Fun!

Sunny California
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Young honeymooners looking for fun on the island

"Drums" near Dennys in Isla Verde has live Music... place attracts a lot of locals

San Antonio, TX =)
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Young honeymooners looking for fun on the island

Thanks we will be sure to check those out. I looked up the Nuyorican cafe. Thats def a place Id check out but i know its not his style. Mm drums by Dennys is perfect... have some pancakes afterwards. =) thanks yall!! Oh and I checked out flowerfarms blog... very informative and well written. I want to go zip-lining now!!!

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Young honeymooners looking for fun on the island

Again, please make sure YOU stay sober, OK? Having said that, you must hit South Fortaleza (SoFo) Street in OSJ late night. Niuyorican Cafe is one of several spots in that area for your kind of crowd. Once you are in the SoFo area, ask for the entrance to Milk, it's easy to miss. Also in that area check Basiliko. For an even later night, check the Raven Room, third level in 305 Recinto Sur St., right across the Doña Fela and Paseo Portuario parking buildings (where you will likely park to walk to SoFo). Raven Room is owned by the same owners of Dragonfly, Parrot Club, etc. It opens at 11pm and goes until 4am (sushi and ceviche are served all night).

Of course, in Isla Verde do not miss Brava, the club at The El San Juan hotel, and do go to the roof of the Water Club hotel.

Enjoy Paradise!

San Antonio, TX =)
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Young honeymooners looking for fun on the island

You caught my attention with ceviche... delicious. I checked out the Water Club online and yes, it looks like a nice place to check out. Thatll be on the to go list. Thank you so much for your directions! its going to help a lot.

MA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Young honeymooners looking for fun on the island

Hi! I saw your post now and assume you are back. I am thinking of booking at the Wyndham Rio Mar and want to know how it was. Did you like it? How was the beach? We too are young and looking for a nice romantic getaway. Any feedback or tips you have would be greatly appreciated. Hope you had a wonderful trip!

San Antonio, TX =)
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Young honeymooners looking for fun on the island

Well we just came back last night from our trip to PR. First and foremost the resort was absolutely beautiful. We got upgraded to a mountain view junior suite. I loved the view, balcony was spacious. Room was CLEAN and very big. Grounds are luch and beautiful. we took several romantic walks both day and night on and off the beach. Not that mnay people were there this weekend, we had lots of privacy. We felt like we were on our own private island. Very romantic. We didnt eat at the restaurants but did order in twice. Churrasco is delicious, worth every penny.

Drinks are expensive but strong. We stopped at amigos for bacardi and V8 splash. Puerto Rico is very inexpensive, but the resort itself charges an arm and a leg for a piece of fruit. Eat off the grounds if you want to save money. Do eat at the stands wherever you see one to have a genuine taste of PR.

We thought that the hotel wasnt too far from the city. WE WERE WRONG. Think twice about booking here if you want to go dancing in SJ. We are from san antonio so we are used to driving across town just to go out. However, on the way to Sj from Rio Grande you have to take carretera or whatever it is 3. WEll this road is 11 miles long to the autopista leading to SJ. speed limit is 50, but la 3 has a plethora of traffic lights. it drags on. Plus people drive like maniacs there (no offense). So save yourself the stress and book a hotel in SJ. If you want to relax on the resort, then its perfect. It was a shame that we did not stay at the resort that much, we just went out and about. the beach is pretty. we didnt get in though. its not blue but its clean nonetheless. We are not ocean people but walking along the shore was great. Laying out on a beach chair at night star gazing by ourselves was wonderful as well.

kioskos down the road are great. we ate and had drinks for about 25 dollars.

I recommend going to Brava in the SJ hotel. Stay away from Da Noise. I have no idea what my cousin was thinking taking us there. metal detectors, wands, and pat downs are a very good sign you should not go in.

Anywho next time we are going to book at the water club beach hotel i believe it is. Rio Mar is beautiful but not our style. Its dead at night. And appealed to an older crowd and families.

Any other questions do ask. ciao. I have also stayed at the SJ hotel A few years back. Very nice, classy and you will meet a lot of interesting people. Its lively at night as well.

NYC
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Young honeymooners looking for fun on the island

Glad to hear you had a great time- i'm planning a trip to SJ myself and was thinking of staying at the Condado Plaza. From your recent experience, what do you think about that. My & BF are young & hip, love to party and gamble, just not sure how far CP is from El san juan hotel and water club.

Get answers to your questions about El Yunque National...