We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biking to El Yunque

Crystal Lake...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Biking to El Yunque

I am staying at the Rio Mar Wyndham and would like to know if you can rent a bike there or in vicinity? I was thinking of biking to the rain forest for the day from the Wyndham. How long do you think it would take?

Thanks-

Ron

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biking to El Yunque

I don't know of a bike rental place in the area. I know the Rent The Bicycle people in OSJ have bike rentals and bike carriers for a car, and they "may" be able to deliver the bikes to you (for a fee I assume).

You can't bring bikes on the trails in EL Yunque Nat Forest. The road up (rt 191) is heavily traveled and twisty and turning, with no shoulders. I have seen bikers on it, but it is not a road I would want to bike (it is 14 kms going up 2000 ft from seas level).

You can bike the other roads that go up into the Forest that are less frequently used. RT 966 or 186 go out and you pass a number of rivers/waterfalls along the way.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,383 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biking to El Yunque

Agree. Use the back roads. Not the main one into the National Forest. Also, Do a drop off at the top and bike down like in Hawaii.

Crystal Lake...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biking to El Yunque

Thank you both, I do a lot of biking and don't mind busy roads but with most motorist going there not knowing the roads I think I will heed your advise and take the back roads. What do you think the round trip distance will be; I usually bike 40-50 miles and don't mind the hils?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biking to El Yunque

Then I would take RT 3 W until RT186 up into the rainforest and then down rt 185 N into Canovanas, then back to the hotel via RT 3. I guess about 30-35 miles.

Find a map so you see the route I am saying.

We have had guests that also have gone to Isla Verde through Pinones area. They enjoyed that route very much. RT 3 W until RT 187 in Rio Grande all the way. Some great coastal views. About 30 miles.

Crystal Lake...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biking to El Yunque

Thanks again, hopefully I can get a bike at the hotel to make it easy. Looking forward to the trip.

El Yunque, Puerto...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biking to El Yunque

Shane and Rosa at Carabali do an excellent guided bicycle trip. They can be contacted at 787-889-5820 (the Carabali number)

El Yunque, Puerto...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biking to El Yunque

Shane and Rosa have an excellent guided bicycle trip that they do in the Luquillo area. They can be reached at the Carabali horse back riding office 787-889-5820

8. Re: Biking to El Yunque

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about El Yunque National...