We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we stay near Naguabo or Luquillo?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Should we stay near Naguabo or Luquillo?

Hi there,

My girlfriend and I are planning to spend two nights around El Yunque. We are looking at a couple places to stay--one is on the side of the forest that is closer to Naguabo, the other is on the side closer to Luquillo. Everything else being equal, can anyone suggest which side we should stay in?

I should note that we have to be at the airport in San Juan at 4:30am after our stay, so maybe this should factor into where we stay?

Thanks for your help!

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we stay near Naguabo or Luquillo?

Depending on what activities you plan to do during your visit, it may be more convenient to stay on the Luquillo side. If you're doing more stuff on the far east side of the island, or on the south side of El Yunque, then staying near Naguabo would be better.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,611 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we stay near Naguabo or Luquillo?

Luquillo is closer to the airport.

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we stay near Naguabo or Luquillo?

Luquillo is more centrally located located plus you may get a chance to go to the great beaches nearby and restaurants in the area.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we stay near Naguabo or Luquillo?

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

Proximity to the airport is more important to us than proximity to the beach. We'll be coming from Vieques when we get to El Yunque, so I don't think we'll have much desire/time to check out the beaches near Luquillo, even though I've heard they're nice.

So, from an El Yunque perspective, there's not a huge difference between the Luquillo area and the Naguabo area? I.e. we'll still be able to do a bunch of fun stuff in the park either way?

Thanks again.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we stay near Naguabo or Luquillo?

The access to the main visitor area in El Yunque National Forest is on the north side of the mountain ... so for that Luquillo is much closer than Naguabo. Figure about a 15-minute drive from Luquiloo, and 30-45 minutes from Naguabo (depending on where you are).

If you see a map that shows Road 191 connecting from the north side of El Yunque over to the south side of El Yunque THAT MAP IS WRONG. Road 191 does not go over the top of the mountain range.

barefoot travelers...
Level Contributor
146 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we stay near Naguabo or Luquillo?

Luquillo is 25 minutes closer to airport

That being said at the hour you need to drive there you have easy non traffic run from either.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we stay near Naguabo or Luquillo?

Thanks, all. Decided to go with the Luquillo side.

8. Re: Should we stay near Naguabo or Luquillo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about El Yunque National...