We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Conditions to El Yunque

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Road Conditions to El Yunque

Hi, I plan in getting a rental car and drive up to the La Coca Falls and walk the El Yunque Trails on Hwy 191. I'm a little concern on road conditions out there. I've never drive in mountains before. Is it hard to drive up there? Should I just get there with a tour?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Conditions to El Yunque

Roads are fine mountain roads. Renting a car is still the best way to do it.

Currently, the lower part of N191 is 1 lane for about 15 feet. So you need to watch for on-coming traffic. After that, it is fine. Twisty roads, so be slow around curves.

There are 2 alternate routes to avoid the damaged section of N191 road, but....really it is not an issue.

La Coca and El Yunque trails are open. Only Yokhau Tower, Big Tree trail and parts of Caimitillo trail are closed.

2. Re: Road Conditions to El Yunque

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about El Yunque National...