We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minivan, repairs to trails, and kids?

Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Minivan, repairs to trails, and kids?

I was reading this and noticed that it says trucks and vans can't go through a certain section.... we're renting a minivan while we're in PR. Would that be a problem?

"Road 191, the main access to the Forest from Rio Grande near Km 1.2 (outside the Forest boundaries) has limited one-lane access for small passenger vehicles. Heavy vehicles such as trucks and vans are restricted and need to use alternative routes.

Forest Service continues to assess damages and complete repairs to roads, trails and facilities impacted by heavy rains which occurred on May 10." fs.usda.gov/alerts/elyunque/alerts-notices/…

Also, we're going in August, how are things going with the repairs? Will things most likely be open again by then - specifically things that can be done with young children (1 year old and 3 year old).... or are those things currently open?

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
7,939 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Minivan, repairs to trails, and kids?

"Road 191, the main access to the Forest from Rio Grande near Km 1.2 (outside the Forest boundaries) has limited one-lane access for small passenger vehicles. Heavy vehicles such as trucks and vans are restricted and need to use alternative routes."

I believe that answers your first question.

Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Minivan, repairs to trails, and kids?

Actually, I'm trying to understand if "vans" includes minivans.... ? So, with a minivan, so I need to take the alternate route?

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
7,939 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Minivan, repairs to trails, and kids?

I would say yes. I believe that the message refers to VANS in general. MiniVANS included.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,761 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minivan, repairs to trails, and kids?

I highly doubt it will be a problem for a mini-van to use that road. They are just trying to limit weight. The road is not that bad and it is a very small damaged section (300 meters maybe). We went when it was "closed"....there was no sign and no one was there to stop anyone. Now that it is open, I would be willing to bet no one will be there stopping anyone.

But if you are coming from SJ area, you can just use RT 186 to RT 966 which will put you way up onto RT 191 and avoid the issue and save you time too!

The forest trails are almost 100% back to pre-storm. You won't even notice (except for a small part of Caimatillo trail).

Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Minivan, repairs to trails, and kids?

Thank you, Flowerfarm!

6. Re: Minivan, repairs to trails, and kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about El Yunque National...