We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vieques Air Link - Reservations $$ Are Truly Not Refunded

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
38 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Vieques Air Link - Reservations $$ Are Truly Not Refunded

Two of us were scheduled to fly from SIQ to VQS and return in December, 2017 at a cost of $300. As I explained to VAL via email a few days ago, we said "We do not believe that it would be proper to try to enjoy a vacation there while the citizens are suffering so much including little power & drinking water."

VAL's response was absolutely no refunds (as stated in their reservation form). I would have thought there would be some leniency with the hurricane damage but apparently not.

VAL did give us equal credit to be used by August, 2018 so IF Vieques & PR has recovered enough by then PERHAPS we will try to go again.

13 replies to this topic
King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
9,230 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vieques Air Link - Reservations $$ Are Truly Not Refunded

I'm sorry to hear. By August both Vieques & PR will be in better shape. Puertoricans are resilient, and they are working hard at getting back on their feet.

If they gave you a credit, please do use it. You will be helping the locals feel normal again.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,522 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vieques Air Link - Reservations $$ Are Truly Not Refunded

They did show some leniency - you can change your dates. To be on the safe side, book anytime after April.

Indiana
Level Contributor
913 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vieques Air Link - Reservations $$ Are Truly Not Refunded

The credit is really nice. And btw..im sitting at a house in esperanza typing this to you. Going out to bananas tonight..then to lazy jacks..but cant party as hard as last night..need a break. Been to el block..coqui fire...tsunamu..subway..had lobster and arepas at cholies. Vieques is coming back so fast that if you blink your gonna miss it. Have got a lot of work accomplished so far. This is our very best trip ever...cold showers and all. These people are amazing. More info to come in a trip report in a week or so.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vieques Air Link - Reservations $$ Are Truly Not Refunded

Are beaches open? Are you volunteering all day?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vieques Air Link - Reservations $$ Are Truly Not Refunded

Also, if you go back to Cholis, can you look for Cristo, his grandson? Cristo is buddies with our Caspar and we sent him a gift via John Plunket he should be receiving this week. Thank you!!!

Indiana
Level Contributor
913 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vieques Air Link - Reservations $$ Are Truly Not Refunded

Not volunteering..in any official capacity..i am working on houses for people i know or have met..trying to pay it forward. I am staying in Esperanza. Put a roof on the porch and the gazebo plus hung a door and did some plumbing. Did some work on a house in bastimento. Done a bit of chain saw work. Have delivered money for people stateside and made some contacts for people who have been unable to reach family. We have a list of projects. Internet seems to be getting better every day. Been eating at the local restaurants every night and have bought tshirts hats and stuff at the gift shop in esperanza. Every little but helps. Went to sunbay this eve and it was beautiful. For us..this is all real doable. I just fired up the generator..we have the fridge and a fans running. We have so many solar lights in the house you practically need sunscreen. Gas lines have not been long at all. More than enough provisions in stores. We use about a gallon of gas overnight. Been charging our phones and electronics via solar. Having the water back on is a godsend. I will check with choli. Just left him at lazy jacks a little while ago. I know he is going to the main island soon with his mother. For us.. given the way the community has come together...its a wonderful experience...and is becoming our very best trip to vieques. As soon as power is restored vieques will be ready for business as usual. I have a lot of video and pics but not enough bandwidth to upload. Farmers market is open by the GE plant..we've been going to lydias in Esperanza and they have plenty of food..and even ice.

Indiana
Level Contributor
913 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vieques Air Link - Reservations $$ Are Truly Not Refunded

Also... Today was the first day we went to the beach in a week. Garcia and playa grande complex are closed. Just watched drone footage of navio this eve at lazy jacks and it looked great. May try to drive out there if the sand is packed on the road. All the sand on the roads around sunbay have been airated with maria...so very easy to get stuck. Roads are clear though to navio.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,680 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vieques Air Link - Reservations $$ Are Truly Not Refunded

Something to keep in mind when asking for refunds from VERY VERY small businesses. THey would need to barrow money to refund it right now. advance sale money is not held in escrow it is used to fund the operation.VAL has had to lay off most of their employees, they lost several aircraft in the storm. THere is so little communication available that it has been a heroic effort to re establish the flights they do have.

I will say a little about the company: Several of there laid off employees care enough to go into the office daily to help out the few who are keeping things going. Wonderful Carmen knows everyone wants those UPS packages ( VAL has the contract to bring them from the main island and deliver them here) so she goes in daily for a few hours and helps the driver sort them so he can get them out efficiently.

The owner of VALwent thru hell and high water immediately after the storm to bring enough food over so he could know his employees would be OK for a while.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,522 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vieques Air Link - Reservations $$ Are Truly Not Refunded

Wholegrain, thanks for sharing.

North Smithfield...
Level Contributor
279 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vieques Air Link - Reservations $$ Are Truly Not Refunded

These are the moments in life that really matter! Love to hear these kinds of stories. Any update the power restoration "schedule" ?

Reply to: Vieques Air Link - Reservations $$ Are Truly Not Refunded
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques
Recent Conversations