We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Vieques

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Vieques

Hi,

I will be in Vieques with my boyfriend for 4 nights in May. We have been in touch with the owner of one guest house in Isla nena, which I guess is over the mountain from esperanza and on the quiet part of the island. She said she's near beaches. During the day, we would definitely be more than happy to just be near beautiful beaches, but at night, we would like to be close to restaurants and bars. Would a place like Casa Alta Vista in Esperanza be a better option?? I dont know much about Vieques, so all suggestions welcome! Thanks!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
209 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Vieques

We stayed at Casa Alta Vista in Feb. It was a great location - about a 5 minute walk to the strip of restaurants. It was really nice to be able to walk to breakfast and dinner and not have to worry about finding a parking spot.

Casa Alta Vista is a great place to stay - very clean, great staff. We did have some problems a couple of nights with a group of dogs barking that kept us awake for a few hours but only some of the reviews mention that so it seems like we were just unlucky on those nights. You will hear roosters but that wasn't much of a problem.

Jenni

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Vieques

Hey,

We stayed at the Casa Alta Vista in December of this year and did a bio bay tour (we live in PR.) We had 3 beds for about $100 a night. For the money it was great because we didn't want to spend a lot...BUT you really do get what you pay for. Do not expect greatness. It was just ok. My husband and brother did not like it at all and teased me some for picking the place....BUT for $100 for 3 beds it was good. There is a place called something Banana that is actually near the restaurants and there were other places that would have been located better, but I don't know what the prices were....Casa Alta Vista is a pretty good walk to the restaurants and beach. We hired a cab for the ride back.

Good Luck.

Chevy Chase
Level Contributor
247 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Vieques

we stayed at casa alta vista last month and had no problems. mgmt. was excellent, prices were approx 80-100 and i think that is the going rate anywhere; you can walk up to the esperanza main drag for food drink etc. we walked up for lunch, dinner; you get complementary coffe in the morn in the so called lobby. orlando, and mark the owner were very helpful and if you have read other trip advisor reports, all fit the bill at casa alta vista. if and when we ever go back again i am sure we will stay here. enjoy.

Litchfield...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Vieques

we're going to vieques in May and have booked rooms at the casa de amistad... it's right in Isabel Segunda and the pictures, (both on this website and the www.casadeamistad.com site) look wonderful. the prices are great, and if the contact I've had with them so far is any indication of the service we'll be recieving, it looks to be a lovely trip!!

Highlands, NJ
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Vieques

You might also think about the 3 options outside of Esperanza -- Inn on the Blue Horizon, Hacienda Tamarindo, and Hector's. They are quieter, much more comfortable and thus more expensive. Dogs and roosters are less of an issue (but the coqui night tree frogs will be heard). All have pools and they are very close to bars and restaurants in Esperanza (by car). Inn on Blue has nice bar and restaurant. Almost anywhere you stay in Vieques you will want to rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle to visit the beautiful beaches in the Wildlife Preserve. Biobay tour is a must. Island Adventures is close to the 3. Enjoy.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
209 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Vieques

Just wanted to comment about the walk to the strip in Esperanza from Casa Alta Vista. It's a 5 minute walk through a very safe neighborhood. Very easy walk - unless you have medical issues you should be fine.

Jenni

New Jersey
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Vieques

We just got back and stayed at Coral Cottage in the Bravos de Boston section rihgt near Isabella II. It is an easy walk to Bravo Beach Hotel, Al's Blue Bar, Mamasonga, Mr. Sushi, and M Bar. Would definitely stay there again.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Vieques

We were in Vieques in April and stayed at Casa de Amistad. It's right in Isabel, very convenient location, and has a great, friendly, communal vibe. It was nice having the kitchen, and the garden patio out back is a lovely spot. They have coolers and beach chairs you can borrow for the day, plus snorkel equipment to rent -- even bottles of water and cold beers you can take with you. It's like having your own private house. Rooms are a little small, but we would stay there again if we go back.

Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Vieques

Is Casa Alta Vista close to the ferry dock? I'm looking for a place that is walking distance from the ferry dock (Fajardo to Vieques ferry).

Thanks!

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Vieques

We stayed at the Hix Island House, which is a bit of a splurge, but well worth it. You'll need a rental car, but nothing in Vieques is more than a 15-20 minute drive from anywhere (it's a very small island). Because HIH was midway between Isabel II and Esperanza, we were able to enjoy both towns and take advantage of all Vieques has to offer (which is a lot). HIH has yoga in the mornings and stocks your "room" with breakfast goodies and loads of fruit, so it's a nice place to wake up to in the mornings. :)

Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques
Recent Conversations