We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amapola Inn vs. Sea Gate Guest House

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Coral, Florida
Level Contributor
58 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Amapola Inn vs. Sea Gate Guest House

Hello~

I am planning a trip in May, couple days in San Juan (Humacao area) and couple days in Vieques... Now, I am torn between staying at Amapola Inn or Sea Gate Guest House. They both sound great, with positives and negatives for both that I can't decide which will be better. It will be single girls just going to enjoy the beach, with minimum budget. Cheaper the better, but I would love to get the best we can; it is vacation, after all. I thank you in advance! Also, I will take any advices on places to eat and visit :)

Albany, NY
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Amapola Inn vs. Sea Gate Guest House

We are doing a similar tour shortly and budget is the priority for us also. We are staying in Ceiba at La Paloma. This leaves us relatively close to the docks. If the woman is as nice in person as she is on the phone, we should be all set.

We are taking the ferry over and staying at Alta Vista near Amapola in Vieques. I think Sea Gate is on the other side of the island. All are supposed to be good places. There are rooms advertised at Alta Vista that include enough space for three or four people for something like $85 high season. I will try and remember to post a follow up when we return.

Another peice of advice, arrange for a car rental early. When I finally got around to calling, I had to call four different places before I found a car. Oh, it's really slow in the evenings. It's probably my favorite place in the world, but it's mellow and laid back, no nightlife that I noticed last time.

Buffalo, MN
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Amapola Inn vs. Sea Gate Guest House

Amapola is a good choice. We stayed there in March in one of the studio rooms in the back. It is close to what little "action" is one the island with three or four restaraunts and bars right along the Malecon. When we were there the was poor water pressure in Esperanza due to dry conditions. We had better water pressure down at the oceanside that up the hill. As far as places to visit the two highlights of our Vieques trip was Red Beach and the Bioluminesent bay. If the moon phase is good you have got to see this phenomonen. We went out with Island Adventures on a pontoon into the middle of the bay. We swam from the pontoon and were stunned by what we saw. There are also kayak trips out as well. Have a good trip.

Vieques, PR
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Amapola Inn vs. Sea Gate Guest House

There are more options available other than Amapola or Sea Gate. In Esperanza there's Banana's, Tradewinds, Ted's Guest House and the Posada Vista Mar for lodging. All of those have reasonable rates and as stated above, is located in Esperanza. Esperanza is an ideal spot to stay at since it's proximity to Sun Bay and other nice beaches are close. If your visit to Vieques is more than a day, it is highly recomended that you rent a car or even a scooter to get to some of the beaches that are not at a walking distance (Red, Blue, Green and Mosquito Pier). For more info regarding rooms, rentals or something completely different, head to this site:

http://www.enchanted-isle.com

Good Luck on your decision and have a great trip.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
431 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amapola Inn vs. Sea Gate Guest House

If you're renting a car I recommend The Crow's Nest. Its the best value for your money on the island. I've stayed there several times and never had a bad experience.

Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques