We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations please - place to stay

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations please - place to stay

Hi,

We would like to rent a 3 or 4 bedroom house in Vieques with a pool. There are 3 kids in our family, a baby and a 7 and 10 year-old. Since we rarely vacation, we are looking for something a little special as opposed to budget. Any tips appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations please - place to stay

Washer/dryer would also be nice. I would also be interested in hearing "places not to stay" based on peoples' past experience.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations please - place to stay

Go to VRBO.com, HomeAway.com, VRConnection.com or one of the many other "rent by owner" sites. Do a search for Vieques. You'll have lots to choose from.

Doing this, you'll typically be renting directly from the property owner.

Just be sure to do your "due diligence" on whatever place you select.

That includes reviewing their on-line guestbook, emailing/talking with the owner directly, searching the web for other comments, and of course soliciting more input from this forum.

-Ray

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations please - place to stay

I know of a gorgeous home (actually 2 homes) right next to the nicest hotel there: Martineau Bay. It is expensive, but a DREAM!!! Maybe too big for you, but go for it!! Off season the rates might be affordable. I have been there, and it is like living the life of the rich and famous. Infinity pool, a private beach, the works! I'm sorry I do not have the number, but at the hotel they might have it, or at a restaurant called UVA, because the owner of the houses also owns into the hotel and that restaurant. Try phoning them. Also try the name "Cacho" on the Vieques directory. They even have a website of the homes. See if you can find that site on the internet. You will not get it confused because that's the only private property on Martineau Bay. Good luck!

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations please - place to stay

This must be the place:

http://www.elenas-vieques.com/villapunta.html

and wow - it looks totally amazing. At $4K/week, it is, alas, a bit out of our budget but thanks for pointing it out.

The search continues!

Dan

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
445 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations please - place to stay

I know this place is very nice:

enchanted-isle.com/byowner/lasterrazas.htm

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations please - place to stay

Yep. That is the place. But there are more homes there by Martineau, I've been told. I've seen that particular one and it is quite nice too. Splurge! Don't look elsewhere. Nothing compares for the price. I think you even get a car inlcuded with the rental. Find out what else is included. The private beach is not the best, especially for the kids, but has great snorkeling and it is totally private and the view is THE best.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations please - place to stay

It's very tempting... and when you consider the included car and maid service. I see that it's rented on the Friday and Saturday of the weekend we arrive - maybe I'll see if the owner would be willing to cut us a deal for a 6 day Sunday to Saturday rental, as it's a bit of an awkward period and the house would likely be vacant otherwise. I'll give it a shot and report back.

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations please - place to stay

Hi, stayed at Pelican Beach Villas in March, three bedroom home on the beach in Bravos de Boston, pool, washer, dryer, full amenities. Would reccommend. Reasonably priced. E-mail me if you would like more info. You can check out on Vieques websites.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations please - place to stay

We REALLY liked the look of the Pelican Beach villas but they are booked until 8/11 - that doesn't work for us. That's just the kind of place we are looking for, though, I appreciate the recommendation.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
275 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations please - place to stay

Hello RamblinDan!

Make research., that is my sincere recommendation. There are many excellent options. I can recommend dealing directly with owners or talk to Mr. Eli Belendez or Sheila Levin from the Crow's Nest Realty., they have many great properties and will help you a lot.

Check www. enchanted-isle.com Rent by Owner this is an excellent info page.

Good Luck and enjoy Vieques and its people !!!

HOC