We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue Fever in Vieques and Culebra???

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Dengue Fever in Vieques and Culebra???

Hello there, fellow travel friends...

I'm planning my family vacation for this Christmas and we are all so excited about coming to PR, however my Frommer's guide book has twice listed a warning about Dengue Fever, especially for Vieques and Culebra.

My family is very "out-doorsey" and loves nature and hiking, and I'm a bit concerned about this fever since we will have older people, little kids, and one pregnant woman with us.

Help! Has anyone heard anything about this fever? Is this just a very rare thing that is so unlikely we should not even worry, or is there any cause for concern?

If anyone has any feedback on this I'd really appreciate your help!

Thanks so much from Dallas, TX

Rio Grande, Puerto...
Level Contributor
290 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dengue Fever in Vieques and Culebra???

This is always a possibility when traveling to a tropical climate, and there are cases every year here in PR.

Here is a link to a web site which gives advice for prevention

…nih.gov/healthscience/…Prevention.htm

There is tons of information on the net, just put in Dengue fever and do a search for more information.

By following the preventative measures such as applying repellant, staying in a place that has screens on windows etc...you should be just fine.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dengue Fever in Vieques and Culebra???

Dengue is transmitted by a a mosquito- a "dengue mosquito", not just any mosquito. Dengue is like a flu, that's all. You may guess you have dengue because of the high fever and the body aches as primary symptoms. Dengue is endemic (although in very low numbers and controlled) in Puerto Rico since the 1960's. This year the numbers went up, but it is still low and also seasonal. December is low dengue season. A very rare kind of dengue is the hemorragic one, so if you think you have dengue, you should not take aspirin. There is no need for alarm. You have less chance of contracting dengue in PR than you have of getting the flu anywhere in the US. Also, the danger is the same indoors than outdoors. I would even say there is less danger in the countryside than in the city, since dengue breeds on clear still waters, among other considerations. Use mosquito repellent daily for extra insurance and enjoy your vacation!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
491 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dengue Fever in Vieques and Culebra???

There is a new advisory about an upsurge of Dengue in the Caribbean and Latin America, including Puerto Rico. The numbers indicate twice the infections of last year and the most since 1994:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20181559/

Some simple precautions will help protect one from getting it. We're used to these precautions here in Los Angeles, due to the spread of west nile in the past several years.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dengue Fever in Vieques and Culebra???

There was a big article about this yesterday on msnbc.com.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dengue Fever in Vieques and Culebra???

I heard the interview to the PR epidemiologist, and yes, the numbers have doubled from last year for this date. This is the beggining of the season, which ends in January. Peak season for dengue is october-november. In december it starts winding down. Still, the chances of contracting dengue is minimal and tourists should not be worried. They should know the symptoms, so they can be prepared and properly disgnosed. Also, mosquito repellent is a MUST in PR, dengue or not. As I said there is a greater chance you'll get the flu in the US than getting dengue in PR.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
491 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dengue Fever in Vieques and Culebra???

Agreed! Good points!

Arizona
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Dengue Fever in Vieques and Culebra???

Not to scare anyone but my husband almost died from Dengue so it isn't as innocent as it seems.

Amber

Minnesota
Level Contributor
199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Dengue Fever in Vieques and Culebra???

not again................................................:) breathe, in, 2,3,4 out,2,3,4

Hadley...
Level Contributor
817 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dengue Fever in Vieques and Culebra???

Sometimes people do need to discuss travel health concerns and this is a good place to discuss and get feedback so we can support each other. I hope everyone feels like they can bring up a subject on TA and get respectful feedback cause this forum belongs to all of us!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dengue Fever in Vieques and Culebra???

Dengue fever is a serious illness and one that should not be minimized. Yes, there is a possibility of contracting the illness traveling through any part of Puerto Rico. I had posted the advisory about dengue fever previously. I'll find it and bump it up so you can take a look at it. Make sure you use insect repellent with deet.