We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charter boat from PR to Vieques

DesertTravel
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Charter boat from PR to Vieques

After reading mixed reviews about the Fajardo-Vieques ferry, I was wondering if it is possible to charter a boat from Puerto Rico to Vieques. Has anyone done this? Would it be very expensive? We will have 8-10 adults and 3 young children. I know the air route is easier, but several in our group are uncomfortable with small aircraft. We will be traveling to the island in mid-March.

Another unrelated question . . . is the tap water safe to drink in Vieques?

Thank you for all the great posts and information on this forum!

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Charter boat from PR to Vieques

The tap water is safe. It is piped to here from Puerto Rico.

It may be possible to find someone willing to launch you over here. I know of no one doing this though. And I believe you'd pay a hefty price to find someone willing to take you here by boat and then "deadhead" back.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charter boat from PR to Vieques

Done it lots of times, on charter and private motor and sailboats, all sizes, from 20-60 ft, for many years, and this is my advice: Do it only if you are comfrotable and familiar with & like ocean cruising & traveling. There are several companies you can charter a boat from, crewed or uncrewed, out of Fajardo (several places). It is expensive and you may do better flying, especially from Fajardo (cheaper). For those uncomfortable with small aircrafts, they should know that the trip between Fajardo & Vieques can get quite choppy at times, although mid-March is not the choppiest time of year, you cannot predict nice weather. It is not a short ride and you go into open waters. The tradewinds are north-northeast most of the year, so waves/swells are usually sideways going to Vieques, so if you are in a smaller craft than the ferry, you could get pretty seasick, especially the kids. Keep that in mind. It will also take longer than the ferry, unless you're on a speed boat, and still, if it is not great weather and very good ocean conditions, you cannot go fast and it will be very jumpy. The ferries are very large and heavy and can make the trip much more comfortable for all in all kinds of weather.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charter boat from PR to Vieques

As for air travel, it is only 12 minutes from Fajardo and even if the sea is very choppy, the flight tends to be very smooth and the views from the air are gorgeous! So, as a seasoned seaperson and as someone who hates to fly on small planes myself, I would recommend flying thare anyway.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charter boat from PR to Vieques

You can also charter a plane for a group your size. It may be cheaper than paying the standard fare for each person.

5. Re: Charter boat from PR to Vieques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 12:19
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques
Recent Conversations