We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Hampshire
12 posts
Save Topic
Vacation

A group of 12 of us will be going to Vieques soon, and I am wondering if it would be worth it to take a trip to Sam's Club/Walmart in Fajardo....is the beer a lot cheaper there?

We went last year and paid around $40 for a case of 10 oz. Coor's light....

Thanks for the help!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
433 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation

You're kidding, right? This must be a joke. You're traveling all the way to Vieques but you're considering spending up to half a day to travel to Fajardo to save a few dollars on beer? Maybe the best way for you to save money on beer is to stay home.

Virginia
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation

I'm not sure what the difference in cost is but you can certainly get things for less on the mainland (Vieques residents do) and bring it over - I'm assumming you would do this before you arrive rather than travel back and forth and then just pay whatever you have to once you are there and have run out of whatever you brought. While I think the last poster was a bit rude in his response, he did have a point in that you are probably only saving a few dollars and the extra hassle may not be worth it.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
7,977 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation

You will pass a Walmart on Hwy#3 in Fajardo on your way to the dock.

New Hampshire
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation

Thank you to all of you who responded and for the help...I really appreciate it.

To Vieques Guy: I'm really not that stupid...I realize a ferry ride and then a trip to Sam's once you are already on the island would be quite silly,a nd you'd spend more money getting there than saving anything. And you'd be wasting vacation time. What I meant by "taking a trip" would be stopping there on the way. Do you think you could maybe give people the benefit of the doubt and not be so rude? I'm glad you live in Washington and not in Vieques. Wouldn't want to take the chance that I might meet someone like you.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation

Viequenses and Culebrenses come to the mainland to buy most of their staples. I don't see any reason why a tourist, visitor or local should or may not do so. Viequesguy's comment, in my opinion, was unnecessarily rude.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation

You'll pass a Walmark, Sam's and a Costco when traveling by road # 3. Your member cards are valid in PR.

New York
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation

I agree with the rude barometer being set off. Sounds like beer is important so get your best deal. Medallias are cheap on the island but otherwise multiple non PR beers can be expensive. I might do both. Bring over some of you favorite imports and also drink medallia while out and about on Vieques.

New Hampshire
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation

Thanks very much for the responses.

I think we'll stop at Sam's on our way to the ferry.

We rented a house and just wanted to be able to have a few beers by the pool(when we're not at the beach or exploring!), and certainly with 12 people it can add up.

Again, thanks for the help!

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
275 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation

Hi everyone!!

ViequesGuy (from DC): We do not need tourists to go away or as you said "stay home"., We need and make our living from tourism wich is what makes Vieques live and progress.

jljpa: Our local beer MEDALLA is an excellent product and you can buy a case of 24 for about $22/25 at the Green Store in Esperanza. As a local always recommend our beer., try one "Ice Cold" while you watch our spectacular sunset at the Malecon, I'm sure you will go for another one and the next one's on me.. Welcome to Vieques and

Enjoy Vieques and its people !!

Humberto

New York
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation

Drinking Medalla also increases the Vieques Vibe!