We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private boat from Vieques to Culebra and back?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Private boat from Vieques to Culebra and back?

Hi - This question may have already been addressed on here, but I can't seem to find it.

It seems that there's no longer a ferry between Veiques and Culebra - if I'm reading correctly.

Is there some way to pay someone to take us from one to the other by boat, though? Doesn't look like a very far distance. Is this something that can be done relatively inexpensively? Or do people only fly between the two? They seem so close that flying seems unnecessary - but there may be other factors I'm not considering.

We're trying to decide whether to base ourselves in Vieques or Culebra - or to just split the time. If we stay in Vieques, it would be nice to take a day trip over to Culebra - but maybe this isn't realistic?

Thanks.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private boat from Vieques to Culebra and back?

You have to remember that the coast guard has a presense and to carry passengers you have to be a licensed capt. If a fishermen got caught, it would cost dearly. There is not a large enough demand to justify a commercial venture.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private boat from Vieques to Culebra and back?

Oh, okay. Thanks. I guess that answers that question. Thanks!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
934 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private boat from Vieques to Culebra and back?

When are you planning your trip. We will be flying on Air Flamenco on July 26 about noon from Culebra to Vieques. There will only be 3 of us, so there will be plenty of room on the plane and the more passengers there are, the cheaper the fare. However, if you need to fly from Vieques to Culebra, it would not work for you.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private boat from Vieques to Culebra and back?

Hey, thanks - but we're probably not coming till January...

Vieques
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Private boat from Vieques to Culebra and back?

Flamenco air is increasing its presence in Vieques in the next couple of weeks and in so doing it may very well be much easier to get to Culebra. Check again in about a month.

Kansas
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Private boat from Vieques to Culebra and back?

There is a private charter boat that will run to Culebra. The capt's name is Jay and he just started doing offshore charters. I didn't get to meet him last month but Capt. Greg of Wildfly speaks very highly of him. He posted some information here:

…blogspot.com/2008/05/offshore-fishing-may-2…

7. Re: Private boat from Vieques to Culebra and back?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 19:20