We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Vieques August 2008

Vieques
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
Save Topic
Travel to Vieques August 2008

It appears Vieques Air Link is in a Tiff with the FAA this week. Flamenco air is flying their passengers and there schedule. If you have a reservation with VAL you may end up on Flamenco. These glitches happen periodically with all these small airlines, usually due to missing paperwork or some other small reason. It could be over before I hit submit, but just good to know!

The ports authority has put the completely overhauled passenger Ferry Vieques II back in service. This is a huge boat and can handle lots of passengers. This should definitely improve service for a while.

Also a new combination cargo ferry and passenger boat the cay Largo has just started service. She carries as much cargo as the older Cargo ships but comfortably carries 300 passengers.

I'm a little vague on exactly what schedule the Cayo Largo is to run, I have heard it will be in addition to what we have now. It may make it possible for local Viequense to actually take their cars t5o the Island to stockup. there has been a three month waiting list to do round trips from Vieques to fajardo.

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
Flamenco Beach
Flamenco Beach
3,230 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
447 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Vieques August 2008

Hi Viequessiren. How bad has the storm been? It looks really bad on satellite and radar.

Vieques
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Vieques August 2008

Not bad at all. Some strong thunderstorms and rain for a few hours last night but just a bit drizzle and overcast now with bright patches in the sky already. It is almost gone 11:45am

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Vieques August 2008

Hi Siren,

We leave for PR in the morning, then over to Vieques Tuesday. Do you think the weather will be alright? We're taking our two small kiddos on the ferry--any chance they will transport cars before we get there?

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
Vieques
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Vieques August 2008

You can not bring a car with out a reservation and that has taken about 2 months in advance to get. Please do not attempt to bring a car.Should you be lucky enough to get here standby you may not be lucky enough to get back and then you will be in a real pickle . Just because there is a new service does not mean anything will change rapidly. Some rental car agencies do not allow there cars on the ferry. If you are just coming for a few days, park the car at the ferry dock for about $8.00 dollars per day and rent another car here. You won't lose much, weekly rate are much cheaper in PR than one way rentals and then there would be the added cost of the ferry passage if it were available.

Remember, the government run cargo ferry was never for the convenience of tourists, it is the lifeblood of these little islands all our food, gas , building materials, house hold goods, etc., come on a very limited number sailings per week.There is a private ferry that runs a limited service weekly, it cost about $120 round trip. I will try and find a number if anyone is interested.

Vieques
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Vieques August 2008

BTW the weather is fine!

Isla de Vieques...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Vieques August 2008

Hey Viequessiren,

Any updates on the Vieques Air situation?

Caroline

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
806 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Vieques August 2008

I called VAL this morning about our flight on tomorrow, the issue is still not settled, but they told me that all flights will leave on time. I hope so...

Vieques
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Vieques August 2008

VAL is flying with one plane. The rest of the schedule is being operated by Flamenco. just go to airport, Flamenco is honoring all VAL tickets .

Mentioned in this post
Flamenco Beach
Flamenco Beach
3,230 Reviews
Puerto Rico
9. Re: Travel to Vieques August 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 01:17
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques