We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caya Afuera with kids

Level Contributor
134 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Caya Afuera with kids

I realize I should have posted this question on the Vieques forum, not the general PR forum...

Has anyone tried kayaking to Caya Afuera with kids (9-year olds) and can you snorkle off the beach there or just off the kayak?

Thanks and sorry for the redundant post!

JAK Water Sports and Rental
Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours, Equipment Hire, Boat Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Black Beard Sports
Eco Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Kayaking & Canoeing, Equipment Hire
Bieque Eco Trips - Tours
Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours
Vieques Adventure Company
Kayaking & Canoeing, Equipment Hire, Bike Tours
Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
806 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Caya Afuera with kids

I Kayaked to Afuera in August, the waters are very rough...

Larchmont, New York
Level Contributor
953 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caya Afuera with kids

Having not been there, (but i do know kayaks a bit) please take this with a grain of salt. If you are a strong paddler and an experienced kayaker and used to the sit on top type of boats (that are not the most maneuverable things)--

and if you kid has kayaked before AND if you can handle a double kayak ALONE then putting one kid up in the front of a double with another adult taking the other child, you should be fine. But i wouldn't count on the 9 yr old for decent paddling. keep in mind wind and current. I don't think i would put a kid even on a short paddle in a solo boat unless it was dead calm--remember those boats are heavy and wind and waves and current just compounds the energy and strength necessary to move them

washington, dc
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caya Afuera with kids

It's about 500 yards/meters from the Esperanza beach. Water conditions vary, but normal conditions, especially in the morning are calm. There is a steady current from East to West --not overpowering, but you will notice it.

Many 9-year olds are strong enough to make this trip in a kayak, but on general principle I'd make sure to stay close to them, if only to make sure they coordinate their strokes and don't get frustrated.

It is possible, but tricky to wade in from the shore on Cayo Afuera, because it's a living coral bottom and can be painful on bare feet and hands --hurts the coral, too!

My advice: take an anchor and some line to lash the boats together. anchor (securely, to a rock) in knee- to waist-deep water well on the lee side of the point. Sit on boats to put flippers and masks on, then hop in and swim around toward the big rocks on the lee side. Happy snorkeling!!

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
627 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caya Afuera with kids

I was in Esperanza for 4 days in March, and unlike the other guy who said it was rough, it would have been fine to kayak to Cayo Afuera the entire time I was there. I wanted to rent a kayak and go there, so I was paying attention to the conditions, but I ended up running out of time and never went. There is supposed to be very good snorkeling on the right (west) side of the cayo as you face it from Esperanza. I was told that elkhorn coral grows there. The cayo is very close to shore and is about as easy an ocean kayak as you will find. You will probably be o.k. with a 9-yr old as long as you rent a 2-person kayak and he/she is in the bow. If you want a very easy snorkel in Esperanza without renting a kayak, you can snorkel under the old sugar pier. There is very little coral and the visibility isn't super good, but there are many interesting fish to see. I did a night snorkel under this pier (using lights), and it was one of the highlights of my trip.

Level Contributor
209 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caya Afuera with kids

I'm sure it must depend on the day but when we were there in July it was very tough to kayak out there. I looked at it from Esperanza and thought "oh, piece of cake. That will take us 10 minutes". It was soooo windy that you could not stop kayaking for a second or you'd be blown back in the opposite direction. I'm sure it's not like that all the time though.

Have fun!

6. Re: Caya Afuera with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 09:22