We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finally>> Trip report July 26-Aug.2

Tennessee
Level Contributor
943 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Finally>> Trip report July 26-Aug.2

My DH, DD and I, spent the week of July 19-26 on Culebra, followed by our week on Vieques. This was our second trip to Vieques, the other being a 2 night stay in 2006 during a 2 week stay on the big island. This trip we chose to stay at Esperanza. The previous trip we stayed at Seagate in Isabel Segunda. We flew Flamenco from Culebra to Vieques on their regularly scheduled 11AM flight to Fajardo. It was a 5 minute flight and after we deplaned, all the passengers had to get out and board the plane again for proper weight distribution. We caught a publico to Marco's to p/u our very well worn and with no back window Geo Tracker 2 WD. Rate $45 daily +10 daily extra for a total of $55 daily for 3 drivers. The gentleman who checked us in was not terribly hospitable. We noted that cars were lined up at the service station across the street. We stopped at Supermercado Morales & bought our groceries. They had everything we needed. On to Esperanza and El Cocotero at 370 Calle Girasoles. This 3 BR 2 BA home was very clean and well equipped, but did have an ant problem, as we have found everywhere we have stayed in PR. It was a real bargain for the price & it was so nice to have no TV!!! There was a fantastic rooftop deck with fantastic views of the south shore, however, it needed more furniture, hammocks, etc up there. We never used it as it had only a resin table and 4 chairs. I am aware that petty thievary is a problem and suspect this is why the deck was not better equipped. The neighbor's fan palm was right next to the deck and was so beautiful and melodious as the trades blew. There was an outdoor shower at the foot of the stairs but with no privacy. I would have loved to have this screened in someway as I love outside showers!! Two of the BR had twins and were a/c. The master with the queen was not a/c, but was cool, even in late July/early August. There was ceiling fans in all rooms as well as louvered windows in all rooms except the a/c bedrooms. We had a washer in one of the bathrooms and a nice clothesline just outside our bedroom window. There was a gecko that sat on the clothesline post the whole time we were there. He was right at eyelevel as we lay in the bed and serinaded every night. He sang a trio with the coquis and the roosters. The dogs sang chorus, on occasion. There were banana trees, coconut palms, mango and papaya trees in the neighbors yards, but only lovely tropical flowers in ours. We had several cats that hung around and that my DD fed. A hen with her chicks would make their rounds in the yard a couple of times a day. Horses, several at a time, complete with foals, trotted down the street several times a day. The horses have owners, as many times a day you would see teenage boys racing these same horses bareback down the street with only a rope bridle/reins. We were in a working class neighborhood, with both very nice homes and shacks on the same block. Everyone was very friendly. With everyone having their windows open, there was certainly noise, but never late into the night. There seemed to some sort of domestic disturbance at the very nice home across the street, with cars coming and going, people yelling and screaming, and the toddlers there wailing. I watched for a cop car, but none came and the next morning all seemed well and the 3 toddlers were swimming in their little pool, with the same shy smiles they always sent our way. This is to be continued as I am typing with 1 hand due to shoulder surgery as a result of an injury while on Vieques. As Paul Harvey says, "Stay tuned for the rest of the story!!"

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
491 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finally>> Trip report July 26-Aug.2

Thanks ScubaGirl - off to read part 2!

2. Re: Finally>> Trip report July 26-Aug.2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 08:16
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques
Recent Conversations