We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change in Air Service from Eastern Puerto Rico to Vieques

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Topic
Change in Air Service from Eastern Puerto Rico to Vieques

This just came over on the TA Puerto Rico forum thanks to Villa Sevilla.

The long rumored change of air service to Vieques and Culebra from Fajardo Airport to the old Roosevelt Roads Air Station in Ceiba is apparently taking place this Sunday, November 23.

Here is the link Villa Sevilla provided to the Caribbean Business Journal report.

www.caribbeanbusinesspr.com/news03.php…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
294 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Change in Air Service from Eastern Puerto Rico to Vieques

I noticed in that story you provided the link to a mention of the Fajardo bus terminal. Is there bus service around the island? I always thought not, but perhaps something has changed???

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Change in Air Service from Eastern Puerto Rico to Vieques

The Publico fare from the new Airport to the Fajardo Publico/Bus terminal is a regulated flat rate per person. If you wish to venture beyond that point with your Publico, you will need to establish what the rate will be for your destination.

There is "Bus" service around the major towns, but it is a very fractured schedule and very difficult to negotiate in my experience.

Rio Grande, Puerto...
Level Contributor
290 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Change in Air Service from Eastern Puerto Rico to Vieques

Jasubar, I think the term "bus terminal" here is used pretty loosley. There is a "publico" terminal in Fajardo and I do believe this is what the article is refering to.

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Change in Air Service from Eastern Puerto Rico to Vieques

The Buses also use the same terminal in Fajardo. I have seen them there on passing through.

Usak, Turkey
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Change in Air Service from Eastern Puerto Rico to Vieques

So does this mean if you were planning on taking a Vieques Air Link flight from Fajardo to Vieques, it will now be flying out to Ceiba?

Anyone know how much cab fare would be from San Juan to Ceiba?

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Change in Air Service from Eastern Puerto Rico to Vieques

That is the unwisest decision yet! Fajardo is a "port", by sea and air and it is much easier to reach from San Juan! This is going to hurt the business!

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Change in Air Service from Eastern Puerto Rico to Vieques

Yes Fun... To answer your question, You will now being Flying VAL, or any of the other puddle jumpers to Vieques and Culebra out of the The new airport in Ceiba

It's about another 20 minutes South of Fajardo at most.

It will add a bit to the taxi fare from San Juan. I don't have a number for that.

And despite Mia's protestations, In the end, the traveler here needs to know how to get from point A to point B, Whether it be from Fajardo via ferry or Ceiba via airplane.

Scituate
Level Contributor
445 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Change in Air Service from Eastern Puerto Rico to Vieques

Dear VQSJIM:

Do you believe this move is the precursor to the relocation of the passenger and cargo ferry to Cieba? I have seen complaints about the extra time it takes the ferry to run out of Fajardo, when the run from Mosquito pier to the big island could be shorter. If so, would the ferry go to the Old Roosevelt Roads Pier?

Could it be there is a 'master plan' for the development of the east end of the big island, and this is a part of that plan? If so, I wonder what the time frame is; planned/actual implementation?

and a Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

regards,

Jack

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Change in Air Service from Eastern Puerto Rico to Vieques

Not exactly "new" news, but I saw this in today's USAToday newsfeed ... "Puerto Rico's newest airport opens on old Navy base" ... usatoday.com/travel/flights/2008-11-24-puert…

Vieques
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Change in Air Service from Eastern Puerto Rico to Vieques

Master plans and campaign promises are often subject to change. However, there is talk of an international port for cruise ships and flights to the mainland out of Ceiba. The plans to relocate the ferry dock from Fajardo to Ceiba is less in the news.

What is true is that the new passenger/cargo ferry takes one hour from the Vieques ferry terminal to Fajardo, a little faster than the old passenger ferry and much faster than the old cargo ferry. The private ferry is no longer running from Mosquito pier to Fajardo.