We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Improvements to Wildlife Refuge Beaches

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Topic
Road Improvements to Wildlife Refuge Beaches

I just received this today from the Director of the Fish and Wildlife Refuge.

"As most of you know we are currently engaged in several road construction projects on the Refuge to enhance the visitor experience. The projects are to: pave the entrance road past Camp Garcia to Playa Caracas in asphalt; construct a new gravel parking area at Playa Caracas;(Red Beach) pave the road from the turn to Playa Caracas to Playa La Chiva (Blue Beach)in gravel; pave the road to Punta Arenas (Green Beach) in gravel; and construct a bridge over the entrance to Playa Grande lagoon. These projects will necessitate some road closures. The road to Playa Caracas will be closed until further notice, the road to Punta Arenas is tentatively scheduled to be closed starting at the end of April. Despite these temporary closures, all of the beaches will be open for Semana Santa (Easter week). If you have questions or want further information you can call the Refuge headquarters at 787-741-2138."

Ashley2009
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Improvements to Wildlife Refuge Beaches

Thanks for posting this! We are spending 6 days on Vieques for part of our honeymoon. Do you think that these areas will be back open by the 3rd week of June? I hope so....Red and Blue beach are my favorite!!!

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Improvements to Wildlife Refuge Beaches

Ashley, If I receive any more credible information I will post it here.

While speculating about when projects will be finished here is fun over a beer, it rarely leads to any reliable information. So I won't hazard a guess in answering your question.

My best advice is to call the Refuge office at the number listed at the bottom of the press release as you get closer to your travel date.

Congrats on the upcoming event and enjoy your honeymoon!

New York
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Improvements to Wildlife Refuge Beaches

Hi - I just saw this post and I am very alarmed! My husband and I are traveling to Vieques from April 30 - May 6th. The main reason we selected Vieques was because of how much we love that whole stretch of beach in the Red and Blue beach area. Should I take this to mean it will be totally closed off?

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
317 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Improvements to Wildlife Refuge Beaches

Are you talking the week of the 5th or the 12th for Easter week.

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Improvements to Wildlife Refuge Beaches

The week leading up to Easter Sunday.

Rudyard, Michigan
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Improvements to Wildlife Refuge Beaches

So we will not be able to go to Red Beach? What about Blue beach? We will be there on Sat. so this is not really what I wanted to hear.

boston
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Improvements to Wildlife Refuge Beaches

I had read the meeting notes and thought this was all happening later in the year.

Maybe some of those with boats will start a water taxi business while the roads are closed? Hint, hint.

Somewhat like the boats to Culebrita that drop you off and pick you up later in the day.

That would definitely help me worry less.

Pat

Level Contributor
70 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Improvements to Wildlife Refuge Beaches

I have a suggestion for the road crews and Director of Fish & Wildlife Refuge: Pave or resurface half of the road at one time! Leave the other half open for visitors to reach the beautiful beaches. There are tourists who have never been to Vieques before who have researched and planned their vacations many months in advance for the sole purpose of visiting these beaches. (I am one of them.) I don't think it's fair to deny access to the main attraction of Vieques. When the first half is done, start over and resurface the second half. This will be much better for the economy, because I am sure that many people will not travel to your beautiful island once the word is out that the beach access roads are closed.

Rudyard, Michigan
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Improvements to Wildlife Refuge Beaches

I agree that they need to leave one lane open for access to the beaches since it is the main draw to the island of Vieques. This would be like Disney World closing half of its parks because they will be doing maintenance on them. I don't even want to tell the rest of our group about this. (8 of us) I planned the trip for everyone and they took my recommendation on where to go. Now if the best beaches will not have access it could be a downer. We are on our way today, hopefully this won't be true and they will figure out something.

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Road Improvements to Wildlife Refuge Beaches

Hey all. I'm the last one here who wants to post news that some beaches may be closed when travelers are visiting here.

I could have kept my mouth shut and not alerted you to the impending closures...Leaving you to discover it for yourself. Would that have made you happier?

My aim was to give you a heads up so you can be prepared if your favorite or new to you beach is closed.

I doubt that the Federal Highway Commission and the DOT which is funding these road improvements is likely to change their plans due to traveler plans. I wish it was otherwise.

From what I can glean, Blue Beach will remain open while the Red Beach road is improved. I have no guarantee of that...But I think it will be so.

This ain't Disney World, and thank god. It won't cost you $65 a head to "walk in the door" to any beach here. And there are plenty other than Red, Blue and Green

Will water taxis be available?..I don't know...Price? Beats me.

As the great Poet Mick Jagger once spoke..."You can't always get what you want, But if you try sometimes, You just might get what you need"